To whom it may concern. If you're reading this document, it means I'm either dead - or disappeared under mysterious circumstances. My name is Marshall Teller. Not long ago Iwas living in New Jersey just across the river from New York City. It was crowded, polluted, and full of crime. I loved it. But my parents wanted a better life for my sister and me - so we moved to a place so wholesome, so squeaky clean, you could only find it on TV. Unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth. Sure, my new home town *looks* normal enough, but look again. What's wrong with this picture? The American dream come true, right? Wrong. Nobody believes me, but this is the center of weirdness for the entire planet. Eerie, Indiana. My home sweet home. Still don't believe me? You will."

- Marshall Teller


Introduction:

Eerie Indiana was argubly one of the best young adult shows that ran in the 90's. The show was sort of a comedy, horror hybrid. I personally like to compare it to another show which popped up at the same time, namely Twin Peaks. Not only did both shows deal with paranormal themes, but they were also both ahead of their time respectively. The audience just weren't ready for shows like Twin Peaks and Eerie Indiana, but later on other shows like The X-files, Are You Afraid Of The Dark? and Goosebumbs picked up the ball, and got far more attention than their superior predecessors. Eerie Indiana was created by Jose Rivera and Karl Schaefer, who were also responsible for scripting some of the best episodes. Other great writers were, Vance DeGeneres, Matt Dearborn, Michael Cassutt and Julia Poll. Some notable directors of the series were Joe Dante and Tim Hunter.

The first episode of Eerie Indiana was aired on September 15, 1991 and the last was shown April 12, 1992. As you can see, the show was rather shortlived, and was unfortunately cancelled after only 2 seasons (ironically the same as Twin Peaks). The story goes that the NBC board thought it was stuck in a limbo, being too advanced for kids, yet too childish for adults, and so they decided to pull the plug. Eerie Indiana has since been re-run on countless of different networks, including Disney, Fox Kids and even The Sci-Fi Channel. Due to its creative, satiric and clever nature it is still acknowledged and remembered by many as one of the great shows of the 90's.

Synopsis:

Although the opening segment of this node - as spoken by Marshall Teller in the very first episode - really outlines the series, I feel an elaboration is in order. Marshall Teller is a 13 year old boy, who involuntarily has moved from New Jersey to the small town of Eerie, Indiana with his family. Being the outsider and new kid in town, Marshall has a hard time making new friends and instead he starts to notice weird and paranormal things going on. Item, Elvis lives on his paper route. Item, Bigfoot eats from his garbagecan. Yet, nobody seems to believe him. Except for his nextdoor neighbor Simon Holmes, who soon becomes his loyal sidekick and friend. Together, Marshall and Simon makes it their personal mission to investigate everything weird and collect as much evidence as they possible can, in the hopes of one day unravelling the mystery of Eerie, Indiana.

During the series Marshall and Simon experience a lot of weirdness. Parents locking themselves and their kids in giant tupperware like beds at night, causing them to stay young and fresh. (- Foreverware). Or what about when an ATM machine that Marshall's dad invented seemingly comes alive, and befriends Simon by cashing him out free money. (- The ATM Machine). Or the time when Marshall suddenly wakes up one day to find out that his name is not Marshall Teller, but Omri Katz, and that his life really is a tv-show, where his parents are bitter actors, his best friend Simon is a snoppy childactor and his arch nemesis Dash X is trying to get him killed off, so he can be the new star of the show. (- Reality Takes a Holliday, simply a masterpiece)

Characters / Cast:

Marshall Teller / Omri Katz: The main character, hero and narrator of the series. Being in his early teens, Marshall is somewhat rebellious, preferring to spend his time alone, or in the company of his like-minded friend Simon. Marshall is almost always seen clad in his dark army green jacket, a blue New York Giants jersey and wearing the key, to his and Simons' evidence box, in a chain around his neck. Marshall is played extremely well by Omri Katz, who despite of his obvious talent has decided to drop acting for the time being. You might have seen Omri Katz in other features such as Hocus Pocus and in a previous role in Dallas.

Simon Holmes / Justin Shenkarow: Simon is Marshall's loyal sidekick, nextdoor neighbor and friend. He is a few years younger than Marshall, but their common interest for the paranormal has brought them together. Simon doesn't seem to thrive very well at home, so he often hangs around Marshall's house, becoming sort of an adopted family member. In the series, Simon is the quirky yet loveable comical relief, often finding himself in situations far beyond his control. Simon is depicted by Justin Shenkarow, who like his co-star Omri Katz, really does an excellent job (especially considering his age). Nowadays, it seems as if Justin Shenkarow solely works as a voice talent in such shows as Hey Arnold! and Recess.

Edgar Teller / Francis Guinan: Marshall's dad is employed by Things, Incorperated as an inventor, and always seems too busy working to pay attention to the ongoing weirdness of Eerie. It was because of his job, that the Teller family relocated to Eerie. Francis Guinan has continued his acting work in relative obscurity appearing in Speed 2: Cruise Control and Hannibal.

Marilyn Teller / Mary-Margaret Hurnes: Marilyn is Marshall's mother, who naturally is a bit concerned of her son. She works at the Eerie mall as a party planner. Mary-Margaret Hurnes has popped up in Dawson's Creek.

Syndi Teller / Julie Condra: Marshall's cute 16 year old sister, who talks on the phone a lot. She's obsessed with obtaining a drivers license. Julie Condra has since her role in Eerie Indiana appeared in movies such as Svitati and Nixon.

Dash X (Kid With the Grey Hair) / Jason Marsden: Perhaps one of the coolest and most mysterious characters in Eerie Indiana was Dash X. He is about the same age as Marshall, wears a black trenchcoat, has grey hair and always talks in heavy sarcasm. When he initially was introduced someway into the second season, he had no name, but later on he adopted the name Dash X because of the strange marks on his hands, - and X. Dash X is best described as a devious, sneaky, two-face, whom nobody can be sure of. He doublecrossed Marshall and Simon on more than one occasion, but as time went by he nonetheless started to show a sense of fellowship with them. Unfortunately, not much is revealed about the background of Dash X, most likely because of the shows premature end. Jason Marsden is totally believeable as Dash X, completely mastering this ingenious character to the perfection. Jason Marsden is probably best known for his role as Rich in Step By Step, but he has also done a variety of voice work such as his role as Max Goof in various Disney animated features. He has also voiced in several computer games, such as Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate. Another honourable mention is his voice work as Haku in the Oscar winning Spirited Away.




Episode List:

Foreverware
The Retainer
The ATM Machine (Alt. The ATM with a Heart of Gold)
The Losers
Scariest Home Videos (Alt. American's Scariest Home Videos)
Just Say No Fun (Alt. No Fun)
Heart on a Chain
The Dead Letter
Who's Who (Alt. Who's Who?)
The Lost Hour
Marshall's Theory of Believability
Tornado Days
The Hole in the Head (Alt. The Gun and the Toaster)
Mr. Chaney
No Brain, No Pain
The Loyal Order of Corn
Zombies in P.J.s
Reality Takes a Holiday
The Broken Record*
The Jolly Rogers**
* Not originally shown
** Never aired, presumably never completed




Other:

Eerie Indiana: The Other Dimension: A totally lame, weak attempt from 1998 to create something similiar to before mentioned Are You Afraid Of The Dark? or Goosebumbs. It lacked everything that made the original so great, clever stories, interesting characters and not to mention good acting. The show failed miserably, but for a good reason. Avoid at all costs.

The Eerie Indiana DVD: Contains the first 3 episodes (Foreverware, The Retainer and The ATM Machine) of the series. No extra material of any kind, but a must buy. It seems as if they are planning to release more, no sign of any new ones yet, but keep your fingers crossed though!

The Eerie Indiana Videos: Apparently, 2 videos, each containing 3 episodes has been released at some point in the U.K. Volume 1 contains the first 3 episodes (Foreverware, The Retainer, and The ATM Machine). Volume 2 contains the next 3 episodes (Scariest Home Videos, The Losers, and Just Say No Fun). Who knows, you might get able to find them on eBay or such. However, keep in mind that these videos are encoded in PAL.

The Eerie Indiana Books: A series of 17 spin-off books for young adults has been written. I'm guessing this is because of the sudden paranormal hype, but since I haven't read any of them, I can't really say anything about them.

Sources:

1) The Eerie Indiana Episode Guide by Loren Heisey and Terry Gaetz. (Used this for the episode order, actor names and date facts). Do a search for it on Google for a complete episode-by-episode synopsis, fun facts, plus much more. Highly recommend.
2) The Internet Movie Database. (Used for actor roles etc).
3) My head.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.