The Eight Auspicious Symbols of Tibetan Buddhism appear very often in Tibetan religious art. They are particularly prevalent in sand mandalas (symbolic representations of the transient universe) and silk wall-hangings that depict buddhas, bodhisatvas, mantras, guardian figures, et cetera.

The Right-Coiled White Conch

The white conch which coils to the right symbolizes the spreading influence of the dharma teachings. Because these teachings are applicable to beings of all natures, predispositions and aspirations, the dharma can awaken them from their and motivate them to act toward the welfare of themselves and others.

The Precious Umbrella

The precious umbrella symbolizes the wholesome activity of protecting beings from illness, negative forces, and the obstacles of this life.

The Victory Banner

The victory banner symbolizes the victory of how the awareness of one's own and others' body, speech and mind can overcome all obstacles. It also stands for the complete victory of the Buddhist Doctrine over all negative forces.

The Golden Fish

The golden fish symbolizes freedom from samsara, -living without fear, without danger of drowning in the ocean of sufferings, and moving from place to place with joyful spontanaity, as a fish swims through the water.

The Wheel

The golden wheel of dharma symbolizes the auspicious turning of the precious wheel of Shakyamuni Buddha's doctrine (The Eightfold Path), both in its teachings and realizations, in all times and places. The Eightfold Path is that which enables beings to experience the joy of wholesome deeds and liberation.

The Endless Knot

The endless knot (also known as the "auspicious drawing") symbolizes the infinite nature of the dharma. It can also be interpreted to represent the inter-dependence of religious doctrine and secular affairs. Similarly, the endless knot represents the unity of wisdom and great compassion and the essential inter-being of all things. There is no other.

The Lotus Flower

The lotus flower symbolizes the complete purification of the body, speech and mind in the midst of tempation, and the blossoming of wholesome deeds intoblissful liberation.

The Treasure Vase

The treasure vase is a traditional symbol of good fortune, representing the perfect nature of the dharma, longetivity and prosperity.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.