英真流

Romanized as 'Eishin Ryu,' sometimes as 'Eishin Ryuu,' and sometimes referred to fully as 'Hasagawa Eishin Ryu,' this school of koryu bugei iaido is extant through the traditions of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (MJER) and Muso Shinden Ryu (MSR).

History

From The Iaido Newsletter, Volume 2 number 5 absolute #7, 1990:

"The seventh headmaster of the Muso Jikiden\Shinden line was a man named Hasagawa Chikaranosuke Eishin (b. approx. 1700). He studied under the sixth headmaster, Nobusada Danuemon no Jo Banno (Manno Danueimon Nobumasa) in Edo during the Kyoho era (1716-1735).

Eishin transformed many of the techniques and is said to have devised the style of drawing with the blade edge up in the obi. He added the Iai hiza techniques (Chudan (sic) level) to the Okuden levels of waza. It was Eishin who first used the name Muso Jikiden which had been the name of an earlier school of swordsmanship. The full name of the school came to be the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu."

Kata

Eishin Ryu is referred to as tate-hiza no bu, as all but one of its kata are performed from the sitting position of a bushi in yoroi (traditional Japanese armor) called tate-hiza, or standing knee. This reflects on the ancient and battle-accesible nature of Eishin Ryu.

Though the names remain mostly consistant between MJER and MSR in Eishin Ryu, there are a few discrepancies. In this case, the MJER name comes first, the MSR second. The ten kata are:

1. Ippon-me - Yoko Gumo (side cloud)
2. Nihon-me - Tora no Issoku, Tora Itsutoku (one leg of the tiger)
3. Sanbon-me - Ina Zuma (lightning)
4. Yonhon-me - Uki Gumo (floating cloud)
5. Gohon-me - Oroshi, Yama Oroshi (mountain wind)
6. Roppon-me - Iwa Nami (waves against rock)
7. Nanahon-me - Uroko Gaeshi (against the grain/sudden turn)
8. Hachihon-me - Nami Gaeshi (against the wave/returning wave)
9. Kyuhon-me - Taki Otoshi (waterfall)
10. Juppon-me - Makkou (face to face), Nukiuchi (sudden attack)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.