Software company started in 1990 that is based in Moscow, Russia. They make a variety of software solutions including password recovery, e-mail, and miscellaneous utility software. Their password recovery applications can recover lost passwords from a wide variety of applications including Microsoft Office, Lotus SmartSuite, Adobe Acrobat, and zip/rar/ace/arj archives. Elcomsoft's email software can varify the validity of addresses before you send mail to them and a program to send mail directly to a recipient without going through your ISP's SMTP server. They also make small utilities like a program to make a copy of your registry for backup.

Elcomsoft is a member of the Russian Cryptology Association (RCA), the Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP), and a Microsoft Independant Software Vendor(ISV).

One of Elcomsoft's employees, Dmitry Sklyarov has been arrested in the United States under the DMCA for helping create a program to convert Adobe's eBook format to their PDF format. Elcomsoft has been very instrumental in raising money for his defense.


Dmitry has since been released in exchange for his testimony against his employer, so Elcomsoft is now the one being prosecuted.
On December 17, 2002, ElcomSoft was acquitted of the charges in federal court. The EFF quickly applauded the decision against the DMCA.
See Elcomsoft's web site at: http://www.elcomsoft.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.