The Eldon Caldicott Award has been given annually since 1985 to the best written works produced while the author was under contractual obligation to write something else. A single award was given until 1992 when the field expanded to include three categories:

  1. Works of Fiction: As the title of the award says, it is given to works of fiction. To qualify, they must be both written and published while the author is under contractual obligation to write something else.
  2. Works of Non-Fiction: As above, but the material written must be non-fiction in nature.
  3. Violations of Contract: The awards above qualify if the author was allowed to write and publish other material while under contractual obligation to write something else. This award is given to works both written and published in violation of the author's contractual obligation to write something else. The violation may involve going through another publisher while under exclusive contract to the publisher you were under contract to. There may be other factors, such as doing an end run around your agent to publish your tract about things that bother you so much that you need to write and publish a tract about it.

There is talk of expanding the awards even futher, but as of now there are no concrete plans.

 

 

This is for the quest.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.