Episode 3 of Space Ghost Coast to Coast premiered on May 6, 1994. It was written by Matt Maiellaro, Andy Merrill, Khaki Jones, and Keith Crofford. It has the distinction of being the first regular episode of SGC2C to be produced.

Guests: The guests on this episode are accordion-playing comedienne Judy Tenuta (before she became the voice of Black Widow on the show), LSD guru Dr. Timothy Leary (before he died), and in an uncredited appearance, Ashley Judd (before she became a Hollywood Big-Shot).

Episode Premise: Another straight interview show, appropriately weird (for weirdnesses' sake) though given the two main guests. The title comes from the pre-interupt feed segment and the post-credits segment with the show's characters waiting for and getting on an elevator. Oh, and Zorak sees Jack Benny on the elevator too. Also in the episode, we get to see some of the show's "blooters" as Space Ghost calls them. And finally, we learn only one thing from Ashley Judd: she can bake a really good chocolate pie.

Gilligan -- CHIPs

The control surface on an aircraft responsible for pitch control, usually located at the rear of (or integral to) the tailplane.

Lowering the elevator increases the lift of the tailplane (at the rear of the aircraft), thus pitching the aircraft's nose down; vice-versa for raising the elevators. They are connected to the front/back axis of the control column.

Pulling back makes the nose go up, angle of attack increases and so does lift, until you stall. The extra lift causes the aircraft to climb, thus trading kinetic energy for potential energy and slowing down. If you are to continue the climb, energy must be added from an engine or other source, otherwise the airspeed will rapidly drop below the stall speed for your current angle of attack.

An all-flying tailplane is one where the whole tailplane pivots to give an elevator effect. This has the benefit of reduced drag but requires greater complexity and strength in that part of the aircraft, increasing weight; it would also tend to interfere with the rudder unless placed significantly forward or used in a T-tail configuration. The F-111 has an all-flying tailplane.

Conversely, pushing forwards reduces the angle of attack, reduces lift and you gain airspeed in a dive.

Aircraft are often "trimmed" by adjusting a trim tab in the elevator. Moving the trim lever/wheel (a sticky control like throttles that stays where you leave it) pushes the tab up and down, allowing the aircraft to be set to a particular attitude. The trim tab behaves just like a mini elevator. Other aircraft (without tabs) use a spring bias on the elevator so that some amount of force is applied without any force on the control column; it achieves the same effect as a trim tab.

A mechanical device used to easily ascend or descend totally vertically between multiple floors in a building.

In England, they are more commonly (that is, traditionally) referred to as lifts. Various mechanisms in place make elevator cars incapable of falling from most failures (i.e. due to cables breaking) - this causes notches in the side of the elevator to come out and prevent the elevator from falling, due to the lack of tension on the cable which keeps the notches in.

The Thirteenth floor is often skipped in these devices for the purpose of not inflicting bad luck.

An elevator is first entered by pressing the call button on a panel usually mounted outside the elevator doors.

Some elevators just feature a single call button, others feature up and down call buttons, depending on whether you want to go up or down, respectively.

It will take a while for the Elevator to reach your floor, and the time will vary depending on what floor the elevator car is currently at, how many people in between the floors between the actual elevator car and you have pressed the buttons on their floors, which makes the elevator car stop there first. For this reason, elevators often feature up and down buttons instead of just one call button; in this case, calling an elevator while it is in motion will make the elevator stop for you only if you're heading in the same direction. Otherwise, it will attend to the request at the next possible opportunity, such as when someone in the elevator selects to go to (or past) your floor, or when it becomes idle.

Once inside, elevators usually feature buttons for each floor, which illuminate when pressed, door open and close buttons (the latter may be a placebo), and an emergency stop button, which usually you have to resist pressing. Sometimes they also feature an emergency phone if the lift breaks down, or an alarm.

Oftentimes two elevators are linked together, so that there is one call panel on each floor for two (or more) elevators, and when you press the appropriate button, the increased number of available cars will be taken advantage of when calculating the most efficient way and order in which to serve you.

Elevators are sometimes (as when fire alarms are sounded or it is the weekend in corporate buildings) locked down on the ground/first floor.

One of the fact-of-life annoyances is that how often the elevator instead of going directly to your destination stops to pick up people who have pressed the button in the direction you are going between the floor you were at and the floor you are going to, slowing your chosen method of transit considerably and making you ask yourself: Would I be there by now if I'd taken the stairs?

Elevators are usually made of glass or metal, and often the external doors can be opened manually (i.e. for maintenance) using an elevator key.

Imagine you are late for work, your office is on the fourtieth floor, and you are just stepping on to a crowded first floor elevator. It might take a long time to make it all the way to the top. What was it AC/DC said? It's a long way to the top (If you wanna rock and roll).

Or let's pretend the building is on fire and your elevator is already full, or you simply would rather save yourself at the expense of others. Or perhaps you are in a hospital and a patient must be rushed directly from one floor to another without any stops.

Well, guess what? You don't have to wait for the elevator to make a dozen stops en route to your fourtieth floor destination. The sheer fact that you are reading this, and that you are late makes your journey more important than the trips that mere mortals have to take.

Getting an elevator into express mode is quite simple. All you have to do is press the button for the floor you want, and the "close door" button simultaneously. It is just that simple. This works in most Dover, Otis, and Desert brand elevators. There are two variations on the effect. On some elevators it will cause them to go directly to the mentioned floors, skipping all other floors, even ones that are already lit up. But on other models it will merely cause the elevator to ignore any requests from waiting passengers on other floors, and only stop at the currently lit up floors. The first "Express" effect seems to be the most common effect. This does not work on all elevators, but it does work on most of them. It appears to be an option that can be disabled by the owner. But most elevator owners don't tend to muddle around with dip switch settings or LCD menus, so it remains enabled on most of them.

The easiest way to get away with this trick is going down in really big buildings, as most people will be headed for the first floor, and the waiting people will have no idea that the elevator passed them by. You can even be really mean and actually get in the elevator on the first floor with a group of people bound for other floors and make it head for your floor first, but realize that people start freaking out when the elevator goes right past their floor. You could have a panic on your hands by the time you actually get off at the 52nd floor.

Obviously I can't be held responsible for what you do with this information, use it as you will.

El"e*va`tor (?), n. [L., one who raises up, a deliverer: cf. F. élévateur.]

One who, or that which, raises or lifts up anything; as:

(a)

A mechanical contrivance, usually an endless belt or chain with a series of scoops or buckets, for transferring grain to an upper loft for storage.

(b)

A cage or platform and the hoisting machinery in a hotel, warehouse, mine, etc., for conveying persons, goods, etc., to or from different floors or levels; -- called in England a lift; the cage or platform itself.

(c)

A building for elevating, storing, and discharging, grain.

(d) (Anat.)

A muscle which serves to raise a part of the body, as the leg or the eye.

(e) (Surg.)

An instrument for raising a depressed portion of a bone.

Elevator head, leg, ∧ boot, the boxes in which the upper pulley, belt, and lower pulley, respectively, run in a grain elevator.

 

© Webster 1913


El"e*va`tor, n. (Aëronautics)

A movable plane or group of planes used to control the altitude or fore-and-aft poise or inclination of an airship or flying machine.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.