Elimination is the process by which animals rid themselves of waste products and of the nitrogenous by-products of metabolism. Through excretion organisms control osmotic pressure--the balance between inorganic ions and water--and maintain acid-base balance. The process thus promotes homeostasis, the constancy of the organism's internal environment.

Every organism, from the smallest protist to the largest mammal, must rid itself of the potentially harmful by-products of its own vital activities. This process in living things is called elimination, which may be considered to encompass all of the various mechanisms and processes by which life forms dispose of or throw off waste products, toxic substances, and dead portions of the organism. The nature of the process and of the specialized structures developed for waste disposal vary greatly with the size and complexity of the organism.

In human beings, the primary organs of elimination are the skin, which releases water, nitrogenous wastes and salts, the large intestine, which releases water and undigested food particles, and the kidneys which balance pH by controlling the release of hydronium ions, balance salt and water levels in the blood, and dispose of metabolic wastes like creatinine and urea.
Elimination is a game played on bicycles, usually mountain bikes, in a set area, usually about 50 by 50 feet. The object of the game is to force the other cyclists to dab (put their foot down to balance themselves/stop them from crashing) as you slowly ride around in the marked-off area.

The specific rules will vary from area to area, of course. Kicking, or no kicking. Being able to grab onto other bikers/objects for balance, or not being able to. Swearing, or not. All of these things can greatly change the Elimination game-playing atmosphere. The feel can range from a simple child's game of touch-and-go, to an all-out demolition derby bloodbath.

Elimination is a great game to use to teach a beginner group of mountain bikers some useful skills, such as trackstanding and slow-motion balance. As always, wearing a helmet is recommended.

E*lim`i*na"tion (?), n. [Cf. F. 'elimination.]

1.

The act of expelling or throwing off

; Physiol.

the act of discharging or excreting waste products or foreign substances through the various emunctories.

2. Alg.

Act of causing a quantity to disappear from an equation; especially, in the operation of deducing from several equations containing several unknown quantities a less number of equations containing a less number of unknown quantities.

3.

The act of obtaining by separation, or as the result of eliminating; deduction. [See Eliminate,

4.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.