Elizabeth Yates was born in 1905 in New York. As a girl, her first stories were written in her head, as she rode her horse Bluemouse. In 1926, determined to be an author, she moved to New York City and undertook a variety of assignments: reviewing books, writing short stories, and doing research.

She married, and they moved to England. Her first book, High Holiday, was published there. They returned to the US and settled on an old farm in New Hampshire. She continued to write, and completed over forty books for children. In 1951, her husband, William McGreal, wrote, "She has plenty of courage, a strong faith and a native expectancy of good. Living with her is a high adventure."

Yates is now in her nineties, and lives in Concord, New Hampshire. She opens her her home to small groups of children, to provide writing instruction and encouragement. She is an active conservationist and has helped protect and preserve large tracts of unspoiled woodlands. She served as a library trustee and a member of the state library commission. She has been a supporter of the New Hampshire Association for the Blind since the 1940s, serving on the executive board and volunteering to record books on tape.

In 1987, the New Hampshire House (?) issued a declaration honoring Yates for her contributions as a "writer, poetess, humanitarian, and protector of the land." The Friends of Concord Public Library established the Elizabeth Yates Award in 1994, given annually to members of the greater Concord community, who have been particularly effective in inspiring young people to read, how cool is that?


Books:

Amos Fortune, Free Man   (1951 Newbery Award)

A Book of Hours

Carolina's Courage

Hue and Cry

Iceland Adventure

Is There a Doctor in the Barn?: A Day in the Life of Forrest F. Tenney, Veterinarian

Journeyman

The Next Fine Day

Open the Door: A Gathering of Poems and Prose Pieces

A Place for Peter

Prudence Crandall: Woman of Courage

Sarah Whitcher's Story

Silver Lining

Someday You'll Write

Sound Friendships: The Story of Willa and Her Hearing Dog

Swiss Holiday

With Pipe, Paddle and Song: A Story of the French-Canadian Voyageurs


thanks to:
http://www.cmonitor.com/stories/top100/fxb_yates.shtml
http://www.bethlehembooks.com/authors_illustrators/yates.htm
www.amazon.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.