Another great game by Westwood Studios and Electronic Arts.

Objective: Destroy your enemies and conquer the planet of Arrakis.

The game play is similiar to the previous Dune games and it carries the same Dune storyline. The game style is similiar to Command & Conquer but the graphics and sound are beyond superb!

This game is a must for any Dune fan! Better be powered with at least a Geforce video card and a P3 500 for smooth playing.

Supports T&L Hardware Lighting and is a whopping 4 CD's.
Emperor: Battle for Dune

A game produced by the legendary Westwood Studios, creators of the Command & Conquer series. It was released in 2001 and was one of the first RTS games to feature a full 3D gaming environment.

Conquer the planet Arrakis, also known as Dune!

First of all you must choose a House which you will serve and bring victory to: the noble Atreides, the insidious Ordos, and the blood thirsty Harkkonens. Whichever one you choose, you will face the other two. Atreides can be considered the "middle" house, having medium firepower of their units. The Ordos on the other hand have weaker, yet much faster units. And the Harkkonens have the most firepower, but are terribly slow.

The thing that separates this game from many other RTS games out there is the extremely unique playing style. You do not have a ready campaign to win. After every mission, you go to a map of Arrakis and choose which territory you want to attack. The action here is turn based, so after winning a mission and gaining a sector, its another House's turn. They may attack eachother, one may attack you and you will have to defend that territory, or they both may attack you! Yes, this is what makes this game so unique. Basicly, its a free for all battle for a planet, without the usual boundries such as a preset campaign. Ofcourse this might be seen as both an advantage or a disadvantage.

As for the technical asspects of the game, it is made in the standard Command and Conquer style, having the units/buildings bar on the right along with the minimap and the state of our account (the quantity of credits, or plainly said:cash). It also features very well made cut scenes, performed by live actors and enhanced with computer effects. As Ive mentioned before the game is fully 3D, thanks to which some flying combat units have been introduced into the game. One things that may irritate a gamer is the total lack of meaning of the 3D landscape, a sniper wont have longer range if he stands on a hill, as wont any artillary units or gun turrets. This makes the game graphics look more like eye candy than a real revolutionary step for RTS games.

Much time has pased since the initial release and the game is still good enough to play, offering a good campaign and an intresting multiplayer mode. Highly recommended if somebody wants a good old fashioned RTS, not some RTS/RPG mixture or some other new goodie which tries too hard to be innovative.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.