Traditionally rather stodgy and filling, probably in part due to the climate and in part due to the fact that the only people developing a native cuisine were the peasants and working classes, as the richer folk just use to pinch the lighter, tastier (and far more expensive) elements of other European foods. Despite this English food, properly done, can still be tasty and nutritious.

English cuisine also gets its style from our Puritan roots. For some reason, many Brits (mainly the pre indian-takeaway generations, aka PIGs) see something honest (for want of a better word) in a slab of meat with vegetables that have had the flavour boiled out of them.

Very often the phrase 'Don't know how you can eat that mucked about food' is heard when someone is eating a Chicken Tikka next to a PIG.

Having lived in Continental Europe (or Europe to the English ;) ) for some time, I have noticed that the Continentals are in better shape than the English. Upon asking a French friend about this he replied 'Yeah, well, whenever I go over to England I put on loads of weight because your food tastes so nice!!'

So, there you have it. Our food may be boring but nothing satisfies more than a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.