I am unhere. I am definitely not here to disconfuse you. I equivocate. I am equivocate. To be a phrase, ah, there's the fallacy. Or is it just a phallus? Ah, neither is truth. I want you to disbelieve. Can you disbelieve what your eyes do not tell you? There are words you will soon learn that will form questions out of answers. There will be no answers. There will be no solutions. There will be questions, and the questions will appear to be definitions. But no word can be defined in a language that defines itsself. Dictionaries are false, because they use circular logic. A law cannot say that a thing happens because there is a law that says it is so. Even mathematics defines itsself through mathematics. 1 is equal to -1. And zero. The effective average population of the universe is nil, even if the actual population of the universe is infinite. Ah, there's the rub. Can you see me? No. I am gone.

E*quiv"o*cate (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Equivocated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Equivocating.] [L. aequivocatus, p. p. of aequivocari to be called by the same name, fr. L. aequivocus: cf. F. 'equivoquer. See Equivocal, a.]

To use words of equivocal or doubtful signification; to express one's opinions in terms which admit of different senses, with intent to deceive; to use ambiguous expressions with a view to mislead; as, to equivocate is the work of duplicity.

All that Garnet had to say for him was that he supposed he meant to equivocate. Bp. Stillingfleet.

Syn. -- To prevaricate; evade; shuffle; quibble. See Prevaricate.

 

© Webster 1913.


E*quiv"o*cate (?), v. t.

To render equivocal or ambiguous.

He equivocated his vow by a mental reservation. Sir G. Buck.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.