Eryx Aegeus Petalas, Ph.D. (Born on August 12, 1896 in Agrinio, Greece -- Died on November 9, 1973 in Lamia, Greece) was a Greek psychologist whose theories and ideas were scorned and rejected by most of his contemporaries in psychology. The denial and dismissal of Petalas' claims lies in the fact that he did not provide sufficient scientific evidence for his most unusual claims. Consequently, psychologists placed Petalas in the same league as Immanuel Velikovsky, as regards contemptible ideas. Some of what he taught included the following:

1. Homosexual behavior is innate and inherited through genes. The innate tendency to sexually crave persons of one's own sex, in turn, can be supported and strengthened through nurture, environmental factors and social factors. Petalas believed it is impossible to convert someone from homosexual to heterosexual (from gay to straight) and vice versa. The biologist/sexologist Alfred Kinsey concurred with some of Petalas' theories on homosexuality. (Theorized by Petalas in 1931).

2. The tendency to be indulge in sexual promiscuity and/or infidelity is innate and inherited through genes. This tendency, in turn, can be supported and strengthened through nurture, environmental factors and social factors. (Theorized by Petalas in 1936)

3. No one can be "cured" of a paraphilia, such as pedophilia or zoophilia. Serial rapists and overly aggressive violent men should be regarded as mentally ill persons that can't be cured, instead of as malicious criminals or malevolent villains. Petalas believed such people could be psychiatrically treated and subdued (through incarceration, castration, etc.) but never actually "cured". (Theorized by Petalas in 1939)

4. There exists both a "rational" fear of police or law enforcement, as well as an "irrational" fear of police or law enforcement. He taught that it was possible for someone to irrationally fear police and secret police. (Theorized by Petalas in 1941)

5. The tendency to consume euphoric substances to the point of becoming addicted, and the tendency to drink alcoholic beverages to the point of becoming an alcoholic are innate and inherited through genes. These tendencies, in turn, can be supported and strengthened through nurture, environmental factors and social factors. (Theorized by Petalas in 1952)

Petalas died in November 1973 at the age of 77. During the year of Petalas' death, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) removed homosexuality from its list of paraphilias after becoming convinced that homosexuality is normal sexual behavior, although Petalas had absolutely nothing to do with the APA's decision.

Eryx Petalas' theories regarding a genetically inherited tendency to be sexually promiscuous or to become an alcoholic or drug addict are still controversial issues today. Petalas' theories on the existence of a "police phobia", which he christened astynomiaphobia, has been, and continues to be, under intense debate, especially among behavior specialists in Europe and the Middle East.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.