Frequently Asked Questions for Etch-A-Sketch Technical Support

Q. My Etch-A-Sketch has these funny little lines all over the screen.
A. Pick it up and shake it

Q. How do I create a New Document window?
A. Pick it up and shake it.

Q. How do I set the background and foreground to the same color?
A. Pick it up and shake it.

Q. What's the shortcut for Undo?
A. Pick it up and shake it.

Q. How do I turn my Etch-A-Sketch off?
A. Pick it up and shake it.

The Etch A Sketch is a very popular drawing toy that has remained virtually the same for 40 years. It was invented in 1958 by French garage mechanic Arthur Granjean. The Etch A Sketch is shaped like a rectangular prism with a red frame and the screen in the middle. There is a white knob in each of the bottom corners. There have been a number of different sizes avaliable, my personal favourite being a keychain version.

The inside of an Etch A Sketch is filled with aluminum powder that sticks to the surface of the screen. Turning the lefthand knob drags a stylus horizontally across the screen, creating a line. The righthand knob creates a vertical line. Shaking it causes the powder to settle evenly across the screen, thus clearing the lines.

If you ever take an Etch A Sketch apart be very careful, as the aluminum powder sticks to everything.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.