Ethyl vanillin glucoside is one of the many many checmial additives which may be found in conventional cigarettes. Specifically those cigarettes which are manufactured by RJ Reynolds, the company which holds the patent for ethyl vanillin glucoside.

Unlike some chemicals which are added into to make the cigarettes more addictive, this one is put into the papers to make the smoke not smell like ass. How effective that aim is is wholly dependent upon one's tolerance for smoke.

A 1990 summary of studies by RJ Reynolds concluded that this chemical is mostly harmless in small doses, although it does admit that the average consumption exceeds the safety threshhold just a tad—albeit nomoreso than any other chemical additives in cigarettes. At most humans, will exhibit minor eye irritation from ethyl vanillin glucoside; no genetic toxicity was found. Each cigarrette's paper contains  270 µg of ethyl vanillin glucoside, or about (between 0.6% and 0.8% of the total paper's weight).

The chemical composition of ethyl vanillin glucoside is a one to one covalent bond between ethyl vanillin and glucose. The ethyl vanillin is released as a vapor as the cigarette burns the glucose into ash.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.