Besides being an absolute productivity killer (in the lineage of Tetris, Mah-Jongg, Userfriendly.org and others), Everything is also a nifty tool for an ethnological study of the American society - or at least, a significant part of it. Through general nodes such as (e.g.) Gun Control, War on Drugs, Government, Religion and (surprise, surprise) United States, as well as through event-related nodes (Million Mom March), you can get a good picture of what being American actually means.

To be frank, the result is a little bit frightening. By European standards, many E2 users would be labelled far right. Sophism is the dominant reasoning mechanism (especially for issues related to freedom, which seems to be to Americans what Islam is to the Taliban). Creeping anti-parliamentarism and general defiance towards government are alarming. In such a context, an economic collapse might lead to a very dangerous situation (think of early-30's Germany).


(See also Us-centricity on Everything - a remarkable pleonasm given the origin, the medium and the language of the system)

It would be interesting to develop a profile of the typical American Everything user and see how it fits in with this picture. Because of course we're talking about an American who:

  • Owns or has access to a computer
  • Has Internet access and frequently uses it
  • Therefore is probably not poor
  • Is statistically likely to be of the caucasian persuasion
  • Is educated
  • Is aware of Everything
  • Is the sort of person who is inclined to post their opinions in an online forum, or feels comfortable enough with Everything to do so here
  • Cares enough about politics, religion, etc. to make that the subject of their posts

This probably represents a fairly small percentage of the American population, but it raises some interesting questions. Is this demographic predominately right-leaning? Is the degree of influence they exert in American society in proportion to their numbers, or are these the policy makers of the future (or present)?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.