1. What is your name?

Hum, I think I'll stay pseudonymous if that's OK. I use my real name on the Internet now, but this place is one of the last places where I keep my mask on.

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

I'm half-English and half-German, a Christian, a geek, I live in Brussels, and in the last ten years I grew up a little, met a wonderful person, married her, and became a dad.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

I discovered E2 via Slashdot. My first writeup was crap and I had it (and my user) nuked out of shame, but then I started on a small factual writeup that was better.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

Good grief. There are so many.

My home node is incredibly long and packed with bookmarks because I was a digital pack-rat until I grew out of it.

E2 has fantastic writing, but what I really treasure are the writeups from users who arrive, dazzle us with sometimes bizarre genius and then disappear.

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

The users that come to mind are ern, UterusHammer, Igloowhite, and of course Interstellar Scrotum.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

My least favourite part is the conflicts, large and small. I have never really liked conflict but watching it in E2 was a real shame. Watching the admins try and drag E2 past adolescence into adulthood felt quite forced as well, although it was understandable. The web grew up and E2 had to grow up too.

My favourite parts are simply the vibrant creativity that the limitations of E2 have encouraged. The ownership of writeups means that all the voices here are personal, and as a result all human life is expressed here in some facet or another.

The wonderfulness of E2 far outweighs its blemishes.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

E2 has always been a microcosm of the Internet in many interesting ways, so I just hope that enough of the people who stumble upon E2 find it worth the effort it takes to become a part of the community and make the thing sustainable.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

Eleven years ago I was very isolated. E2 was the first place where I felt I could dip my toes into the water of social interaction safely, and so it played an important part in me rounding out as a person. E2 was for me a playground, in some ways, that I used until suddenly I started meeting people offline and making friends there.

6. What keeps you coming back?

Because I still, despite minimal involvement, feel like a part of the site.

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

Why?

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact Jetifi or Jet-Poop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.