A couple years ago, I thought it would be a good idea to compile the daylogs from that fateful day into a book. I have started a publishing business which is publishing it. Litmocracy will earn nothing but recognition for this.

The 34 dayloggers who gave me permission to use their writeups are listed in the page describing the original idea. The copyright notice in the book indicates that each daylogger maintains the copyright on his or her individual writeup(s). Thanks to OldMiner for pointing out that some folks might downvote this writeup thinking that I foolishly used the work of others without their permission.

How to get a copy

You can buy a copy of the book for $10 plus S&H by visiting http://www.lulu.com/content/183291. This earns E2 $3.35.

Lulu also provides bulk discounts on orders of 26 or more books, in case any local group of noders is interested. Organizing a nodermeet around the distribution of the books would save on shipping and be kinda cool. According to Walter's E2 Gatherings, there hasn't been a nodermeet in California since 2004. I know I've been away from E2. In fact, I've never been to a nodermeet.

Donation Box

I can't find the donation box, so I'll just keep track of sales here.

As of October, 2011, two more copies have been sold = $6.28

As of May, 2012, three more copies have been sold = $6.77 for a total of 13.05

Clearly, 3.35 * 5 does not equal 13.05, but for whatever reason, Lulu is providing less revenue per sale than previously.  I still haven't found the donation box, so if anyone knows where it is, please let me know.

To dayloggers who asked for a free copy:

Please email me your address so that I can mail you a copy of the book. In your email, also let me know whether you consider S&H as part of your compensation for contributing your daylog.

Many thanks to all those who contributed their writeup to this book, but especially to swankivy who edited the whole thing.
One third of the people who voted on this node have given it a minus, but I have not received any indication of why. I don't have sharp teeth or claws or a vindictive or even defensive nature, so if there's something bad about this, please let me know what I can do to fix it, or what I can do differently in the future.

karma debt is aware of the book and has only given me encouragement.

A Book of Daylogs

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions."—William Shakespeare

There are times when it seems like the universe is coming to an end. Tragedies pile up, one upon another until the world seems so bleak that we wish the ground would just open and swallow us.

So it was in September of 2001, when the Everything2 community lost a dear friend and beloved contributor. Immediately thereafter, while the people of this community were reeling, trying to cope with this loss—the United States suffered a terrifying, humiliating, and deeply painful blow as angry extremists employed hijacked jetliners to destructive purposes, turning the world upside down in the space of a single morning.

dscotese and swankivy, in association with the gang at Litmocracy have memorialized these events in the words of noders. It is a fine piece of work—daylogs, many from some of our familiar friends such as Jet-Poop, wertperch, and graceness, all arranged chronologically as they appeared on the site. These are powerful and affecting words: angry, sad, horrified, bewildered, sweet...many voices come together with over thirty noders' works represented in this book.

The book is printed by Lulu.com (print on demand site), and the production values are high. Editing and layout are very good (hats off to the production team) and the book is quite tasteful. A slim, good-looking piece with 58 pages, priced at $10 (profits go to Everything—see dscotese's writeup).

While it may have little appeal outside the community of noders, I think the book serves as a nice memorial to a time when the world came unglued. All the words in here are things you could read on the site, but I enjoy having something tangible as a momento of our community (back before I was a part of it—just another lurker). My copy of Everything2 Remembers September 11, 2001 sits on my shelf next to my issue of E2SENCE.

"This book is dedicated to Hermetic"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.