Note: This is for the limited edition tin box for the DVD. The tin box edition includes an introductory booklet for you to read that will be covered fully in the DVD, and a picture of the tin box illustration.

Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn -- Limited Edition -- Theatrical release was in 1987, and the DVD was released in July 2000. Evil Dead 2 is directed by Sam Raimi.

Running time and region code: This DVD is not rated by the MPAA. The running time is 84 minutes. I didn't see the region code because of the DVD software and the packaging not showing it.

Special features: The DVD has a gallery of movie stills, biographies of the chuckleheads and fake Shemps who made the movie, a documentary featurette The Gore the Merrier, and a trailer of the Dreamcast and PC video game Evil Dead: Hail to the King. However, my favorite part is the commentary track with Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell, co-writer Scott Spiegel and special make-up effects artist Greg Nicotero.

Technical features: This DVD has both the pan and scan and widescreen view of the movie. Closed caption is available for the dialogue, and the sound formats supported are Dolby Surround and THX equipment if available.

Is this DVD worth the money? It's nice to show off a tin box (I have tin box # 49,179), but I don't mind if everybody buys the DVD-case version of the movie.

Modern classic horror movie, released in 1987. Full title: "Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn." Directed by Sam Raimi and written by Raimi and Scott Spiegel. Starred Bruce Campbell as dimwitted hero Ash, Sarah Berry as brainy beauty Annie Knowby, Dan Hicks as greasy hillbilly Jake, Kassie DePaiva as skanky cowchick Bobbie Joe, Denise Bixler as dancing corpse-to-be Linda, Lou Hancock as sweet old lady Henrietta Knowby, and Ted Raimi as horrific monstrosity Possessed Henrietta.

Part of its appeal may stem from the gore factor, with zombies, flying eyeballs, chainsaw mutilations, and gouts of fake blood splattering all over the screen. Part of its appeal may stem from its audacious direction (despite its low-budget special effects), with the cameras chasing people through the wilderness, rocketing alongside the flying eyeballs, and zipping from one corner of the room to the other. Part of its appeal may stem from its quirky sense of humor, with guffawing deer heads and table lamps, mirrors with a 'tude, and a rubberfaced hero who beats himself up, cuts off his own hand, and gets off more funny, quotable lines than your average Tarantino flick. If you haven't seen it, you cannot yet consider yourself Culturally Literate.

"Evil Dead 2" was followed, years later, by the less scary, more slapstick "Army of Darkness."
An interview with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell some time back revealed that when they hit upon the idea of making Evil Dead 2, they weren't sure whether they wanted to make it a sequel or a remake.

So, they made it both.

And it is.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.