To call to, to create, to summon from nowhere, to forge from nothingness, to cause something to come into being where it previously did not exist. As humans we have this power to imagine and thus evoke anything we can possibly think of - the possibilities are endless We are dreamers, shapers, singers, makers. Have you evoked your emotions today?

In the three stages of Goetian Demonology, evocation is the first step.

What you are doing is calling to the spirits, not any particular spirit, but to the spirits in general: trying to contact a spirit, any spirit. While "summoning" is to issue a harsh command, something like "avast" in naval terminology, evocation is more gathering than hunting, tuning into the cosmic shortwave or chatline to see who's there....Mmm? Maybe it's angels, maybe it's souls in Summerland, maybe it's demons, or even a Trickster!

This is how spirit work is done. The Goetia is more of a field guide than a catalogue. Once you learn how to call the birds, these are what the birds are.

Invoking is getting whatever spirit you need for your purposes. And then some...

E*voke" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Evoked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Evoking.] [L. evocare; e out + vocare to call, fr. vox, vocis, voice: cf. F 'evoquer. See Voice, and cf. Evocate.]

1.

To call out; to summon forth.

To evoke the queen of the fairies. T. Warton.

A requlating discipline of exercise, that whilst evoking the human energies, will not suffer them to be wasted. De Quincey.

2.

To call away; to remove from one tribunal to another.

[R.] "The cause was evoked to Rome."

Hume.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.