From the 1755 edition of my Dictionary :

EXCI'SE n. s. [accijs, Dutch; excisum, Latin.] A hateful tax levied upon commodities, and adjudged not by the common judges of property, but wretches hired by those to whom excise is paid.

The people should pay a ratable tax for their sheep, and an excise for everything which they should eat.
--- Hayward
Ambitious now to take excise
Of a more fragrant paradise.
--- Cleveland
Excise
With hundred rows of teeth, the shark exceeds,
And on all trades like Cassawar she feeds.
--- Marvel
Can hire large houses, and oppress the poor,
By farm'd excise
--- Dryden's Juvenal, Sat. 3.

To Exci'se. v. a. #91;from the noun.] To levy excise upon a person or thing.
In South-sea days, not happier when surmis'd
The lord of thousands, than if now excis'd.
--- Pope's Horace

Ex*cise" (?), n. [Apparently fr. L. excisum cut off, fr. excidere to cut out or off; ex out, off + caedere to cut; or, as the word was formerly written accise, fr. F. accise, LL. accisia, as if fr. L. accidere, accisum, to cut into; ad + caedere to cut; but prob. transformed fr. OF. assise, LL. assisa, assisia, assize. See Assize, Concise.]

1.

In inland duty or impost operating as an indirect tax on the consumer, levied upon certain specified articles, as, tobacco, ale, spirits, etc., grown or manufactured in the country. It is also levied to pursue certain trades and deal in certain commodities. Certain direct taxes (as, in England, those on carriages, servants, plate, armorial bearings, etc.), are included in the excise. Often used adjectively; as, excise duties; excise law; excise system.

The English excise system corresponds to the internal revenue system in the United States. Abbot.

An excise . . . is a fixed, absolute, and direct charge laid on merchandise, products, or commodities. 11 Allen's (Mass. ) Rpts.

2.

That department or bureau of the public service charged with the collection of the excise taxes.

[Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Ex*cise", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Excised (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Excising.]

1.

To lay or impose an excise upon.

2.

To impose upon; to overcharge.

[Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Ex*cise", v. t. [See Excide.]

To cut out or off; to separate and remove; as, to excise a tumor.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.