In computer disk terminology, an extent is a set of contiguous sectors that are part of a file. Ideally, a file would need only one extent, but sometimes it must be fragmented into several extents.

Some filesystems locate the blocks of a file with an extent list, which lists the start block and length of each extent. Other filesystems give a list of each individual block. (Each method has its advantages.)

This was brought to you by the Save Our Archaic Technical Terms Society.

Ex*tent" (?), a. [L. extentus, p. p. of extendere. See Extend.]

Extended.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ex*tent", n. [L. extentus, fr. extendere. See Extend.]

1.

Space or degree to which a thing is extended; hence, superficies; compass; bulk; size; length; as, an extent of country or of line; extent of information or of charity.

Life in its large extent is scare a span. Cotton.

2.

Degree; measure; proportion.

"The extent to which we can make ourselves what we wish to be."

Lubbock.

3. Eng.Law (a)

A peculiar species of execution upon debts due to the crown, under which the lands and goods of the debtor may be seized to secure payment.

(b)

A process of execution by which the lands and goods of a debtor are valued and delivered to the creditor.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.