The Foundation for International Community Assistance, an international non-governmental organization, (NGO) established in 1984 by John Hatch.

John Hatch pioneered the Village Banking methodology in the field of microfinance.

FINCA's mission is " to provide financial services to the world’s poorest families so they can create their own jobs, raise household incomes, and improve their standard of living." As of December 2001, FINCA was serving over 160,000 clients in 19 countries, including: Peru, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda, South Africa, Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo, Russia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia, Mexico and the United States.

As a type of microfinance institution, FINCA's Village Banks generally offer loans of between $50 and $1,000 to very poor people -- primarily women -- so that the women can capitalize tiny self-employment ventures. With the income earned from these micro-businesses, the women repay their loans, and are better able to feed, clothe, shelter and educate their families. In 1999, FINCA provided over $40 million in working capital to over 160,000. FINCA's worldwide repayment rates average about 96%.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.