The last song on TOOL's latest album, Lateralus. After aproximately 1:30 of silence, it starts out with some electronic and atmosspheric noise. Then Danny Carey, deity of many a drummer, begins banging away with some heavy reverb on his drums.

While this noise and drumming continues, a crying and presumably emotionally broken man starts talking and rambling about what seems to sound like alien abductions, area 51, mind control and other things. Apparently something has happened to him, but it's not clear what.

The aforementioned noise builds up during the entire track and then ends the song in a high pitched sonic explosion.

It actually makes for a very, very good ending of this 77 minute masterpiece.

The voice of the frantic man in Faaip de Oiad is excerpted from the September 11, 1997 broadcast of the Art Bell Show. Below is the communication as it appears on the CD - based on the show's transcript. I tried to include all of the man's stutters to better convery a sense of his emotional state. For the purposes of the CD, the band excluded Art Bell's interactions with the man.


I, I, I don't have a whole lot of, of time.

Um, I, I'm a former employee to Area 51. I, I was let go on a medical discharge about a week ago and, and... (chokes) and I kind of been running across the country. Um, uh damn, I don't know where to start, they're, uh they're gonna, uh they'll triangulate on this position really, really soon.

OK, um, um, OK, well what we're thinking of as, as aliens, uh, they're, they're extradimensional beings, that, an earlier precursor of the, uh, space program made contact with. Uh, they, they are not what they claim to be. Uh, they've infiltrated a lot of uh, a lot of aspects of, of, of the military establishment, particularly the Area 51.

Uh, the, the disasters that are coming, they, the military, I'm sorry, the government knows about them. And there's a lot of safe areas in this world that they could begin moving the population to now.

They are not! They want those major population centers wiped out so that the few that are left will be more easily controllable...


Tool - Lateralus

The caller later admitted that the whole thing was a prank, although there are people who say that the man who retracted the statement did not sound like the original caller.

"Faaip de Ioiad" (note that the last word is not spelled "Oiad" as the track title) means "Voices of Your God" in Enochian Magic. This information comes from the alt.music.tool newsgroup and a post by Steve Sobel.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.