Faith is Not a Feeling (ISBN 0-918956-45-5) is a book by Campus Crusade for Christ author Ney Bailey. Each chapter is an example from her life of a spiritual concept. The book is very practical and teaches a lot about the Christian walk. The overall theme of the book is that faith means taking God at his word, believing that He'll come through on His promises no matter how you feel. It's a very encouraging book.

For instance, in chapter 9 (Failure and the Phantom) she talks about failure and spiritual growth:

"When we fall short of any of those standards, we start condemning ourselves.

"When that happens, we have forgotten that God is the one who causes the growth and gives the increase.1

"No matter where we are right now in our growth, we are right on schedule. We are still totally loved and accepted by Him. God is not surprised that we are where we are.

What can happen is that a great gap forms between where we are and where we want to be; between the 'phantom' image in our minds of where we think we should be spiritually and where we are in reality. So we start trying to bridge the gap in our own strength.

Then we start trying to perform in the flesh, to achieve our growth by self-effort, forgetting that as we seek the Lord and His ways, His Spirit is the One who causes the growth in us."

Then she quotes Romans 5:1 (NIV): "Therefore, since we have been justified through our faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ..."

I'm a pretty new Christian and this cleared up a huge misconception that I had. I've been trying to grow in my relationship with God, but I didn't really know how. I thought maybe once I'm as spiritually mature as that guy or that girl, then I'll be right with God. But Romans 5:1 says that I've been justified through faith, and so I am at peace with God. That was a big weight lifted off my back.

"Wherever we are right now, we are loved and forgiven. We are 'right on schedule' according to God's time table. He who has begun a good work in us will continue to perform it.14 God will not forsake the work of His own hands.15

1 1st Corinthians 3:6-7, Ephesians 4:16
14Phillipians 2:13
15Psalm 138:8

Contents:
       Forward (by Bill Bright)
       Preface
  1) The Flood
  2) Arizona Agony
  3) Just Say the Word
  4) Matters of Conscience
  5) A Change of Heart
  6) A Brick at a Time
  7) Unmasking the Enemy
  8) Life's "75%"
  9) Failure and the Phantom
10) How Firm a Foundation
       Notes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.