Here are some thoughts about school:

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education."
-Mark Twain

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school."
-Albert Einstein

"A child educated only at school is an uneducated child."
-George Santayana

"To sentence a man of true genius to the drudgery of a school is to put a racehorse on a treadmill."
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"The first half of my life I went to school, the second half of my life I got an education."
-Mark Twain

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."
-Yogi Berra

"Show me a man who has enjoyed his schooldays and I'll show you a bully and a bore."
-Robert Morley

"I hated school. Even to this day, when I see a school bus, it's just depressing to me. The poor little kids."
-Dolly Parton

"I won't say ours was a tough school, but we had our own coroner. We used to write essays like: What I'm going to be if I grow up."
-Lenny Bruce

"The schools ain't what they used to be and never was."
-Will Rogers

But that's not to say there aren't positive things about school:

"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers."
-Edward Howe

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked everyday by a middle-aged woman: stuff you pay good money for later in life."
-Emo Philips

"The philosophy of the schoolroom in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next."
-Abraham Lincoln

"Everyone is in awe of the lion tamer in a cage with half a dozen lions--everyone but a school bus driver."
-Laurence Peter

"He who opens a school door closes a prison."
-Victor Hugo

And here's what a couple famous (or not-so-famous) people think about education itself:

"Education's purpose is to replace and empty mind with an open one."
-Malcolm S. Forbes

"Education is not preparation for life. Education is life itself."
-John Dewey

"Why should society feel responsible only for the education of children, and not for the education of all adults of every age?"
-Erich Fromm

And last, but most certainly not least, some thoughts about teachers:

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."
-William Arthur Ward

"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind."
-Kahlil Gibran

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.