Astronaut John Crichton, on an experimental space mission, is accidentally hurled across the universe into the midst of an intergalactic conflict. Trapped among alien creatures wielding deadly technology and hunted by a merciless military race, Crichton is on an epic odyssey more spectacular than anything he has ever imagined.

This is what The Sci-Fi channel pays people to write... The series is incredible. It was set in this direction through Jim Henson productions, not the half-wits that make up most of The Sci-Fi Channel staff.

If you missed the first episode, here is the run down (from what I remember):
John Crichton an IASA engineer/astronaut experimented with reducing friction on reentry to earth. Taking place in the "present", his experiment has unexpected results, when inadvertant magnetic distortions create a wormhole, throwing him into a battle between Peacekeepers, and a small group of escaped prisoners who had taken control of a large organic ship (Leviathan class) Moya. During Crichton's entry into this battle his ship grazes a fighter, causing the fighter to explode. Unfortunately, the soldier inside this fighter was the brother of a Peacekeeper commander.

This series has so far been better than The Outer Limits. Absolutely stunning special effects, an amazing assortment of aliens, and a plot that goes beyond most SciFi's, this is a must see series.

Update: 9.23.2002 I wrote this node back on: Thu Mar 16 2000 at 09:51:48 as everything2 says. Farscape now appears to be on its final run. A large campaign by fans of Farscape has been launched in hopes of saving the series. That being said, Hurray for Lexx!

In a press release on 09-09-2002, the SCI FI Channel annouced that it would be canceling it's critically acclaimed show, Farscape.

The show will not be picked up for a fifth season. "There are no bigger fans of Farscape than we here at SCI FI Channel," the network said in its statement. "It was one of SCI FI's first original series and quickly became a critical and fan favorite. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to reach a broader audience, Farscape has been unable to grow beyond it's core fan base. That, coupled with the extreme and growing cost of production, has led to the difficult decision to end the series at the conclusion of season four."

The final episodes of the show's fourth season will air in January 2003.

Fans are leading a massive write-in campaign to save the show. This website has information to help you fax or call the SCI FI Channel to voice your support for the show: http://www.farscapeworld.com/helpfarscape.shtml.

In an online chat on Friday, Ben Browder, the show's star said they will be wrapping up filming on the last episode this week and then the sets will be destroyed.

Farscape began life as a proof-of-concept project for Brian Henson and Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Wanting to be known for creating more than just puppets, Brian Henson wished to create a "ship show", something to highlight his company's expertise in animatronics, CGI, and creature effects. Brian worked with story creator Rockne S. O'Bannon to develop a universe that was rich in texture and utilize the Creature Shop to breath life into these alien cultures.

Originally titled "Space Chase", Brian and Rockne created the series with writer David Kemper for the Fox Network in 1993. However, the network later refused the show before it could go into production in favor of a different sci-fi series called Space: Above and Beyond.

It would then take this team five years to find a home for Farscape. The Sci-Fi Network had read the pilot script, and after listening to the group's pitch, gave them the greenlight for 22 episodes.

Farscape's pilot episode aired for the first time March, 19, 1999. The Sci-Fi Network had no idea that it would be the show to put them on the map.

This show has met with rave critical acclaim and several awards. Currently having received three Saturn Awards for Best Science-Fiction Series and Best Actor Ben Browder consecutively, an Emmy for soundtrack and an Emmy nomination for costume-design.

Certainly with the re-acquistion of Jim Henson's Creature Shop from german parent company EMtv, Farscape is far from deceased.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.