In several mystical traditions (including Huna, Kabala, and Feri) the fetch is one of the three souls which along with the dense, physical body (AKA the goof) constitute a human being.

The fetch has two primary functions. First, it is responsible for sorting, storing and retrieving long-term memory. The more frequently the fetch traverses a particular path of a person's memory network, the more easily the memories accessible via that path can be returned. Second, the fetch is responsible for storing, regulating and releasing the manna or psychic energy used by an individual to create, maintain and alter consensus reality.

The fetch is located in the chest and is that part of the self which enjoys the physical aspects of our being. The fetch has roughly the intelligence of any domesticated mammal.

The fetch is called the unihipili in Huna and the nephesh in the Kabala.

In The Eternal Footman by James Morrow civilization is brought to its knees by the mysterious Abulic Plague, the most horrifying feature of which is that each victim is haunted by his own private "fetch," a satanic doppelgänger bent on dragging him to his grave.

The distance over water that wind blows in a single direction.

Along with wind speed and wind duration, fetch is a factor which controls wave height in the ocean. This is why the Pacific Ocean creates much larger waves than the Atlantic Ocean. Because the Pacific Ocean is wider than the Atlantic, a contant wind blowing over a long distance will create larger waves.
Fetch is a venerable Macintosh FTP client created at Dartmouth by Jim Matthews (who recently won $500,000 on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire). First released in 1989, Fetch is now at version 4.0, and is carbonized for Mac OS X compatibility. Fetch was is distributed freely on the Internet, and is licensed free of charge to educational institutions and non-profit organizations. Otherwise, users are expected to purchase a $25 shareware license.

Although aging, Fetch is without a doubt the fastest and most reliable Mac FTP client. It has a very simplistic interface reminiscent of a System 7 "open/save" dialog box. I personally find its clock-like, circular progress bar to be visually appealing and useful. Although not exceedingly feature-rich, it can do just about anything a more modern client can do, such as bookmarks, extensive firewall support, resuming downloads, and automatically keeping connections alive. Fetch 4.0 has brought mirroring, remote editing, and server-to-server transfers to the ancient application, as well as a 21st century user interface. Hopefully the famous "running dog" watch cursor will remain in future versions, along with the program's stability and rapidity.

Fetch remains the dominant Macintosh FTP client, although other applications, such as Interarchy, NetFinder, and Transmit are gaining ground. I use Transmit, which sports a modern, extremely simple interface, although it's buggy and a tad slower. One useful feature for old-timers is FCCM: Fetch Cursor Compatibility Mode. Yes, it's the running dog. :)

As Uberfetus' writeup details, Fetch is a very good freeware FTP program available only for the Macintosh. Be aware that it is a deceptively powerful program, and you really can do some damage to a website if you're careless; as long as you watch what you're doing, everything should be okay.

A Very Quick Guide to Using Fetch

First, launch Fetch by double-clicking on the program icon. You will automatically be presented with a login window. Click "cancel" if you don't want to log in anywhere just yet. Once you're past the login screen, you can can go to the "Customize" top menu option and create shortcuts to preset the login window to automatically offer you any of many servers.

Once you've logged in to your server, you will be presented with a window full of files and folders. From here you can navigate by double-clicking on individual folders, and you can navigate up to higher directories by clicking on the pulldown menu directly above the file list. You can also navigate and create new directories (folders) from the "Directories" option of the top menu bar.

To upload and download files, you can either use the "Put File" and "Get File" buttons, or you can simply click and drag files to and from the desktop.

To upload a file from the desktop, click on the file icon and drag it into the Fetch window.

HTML files can be sent either in Automatic or Text mode, but should always be sent as Text, rather than Wrapped Text or any of the other formatting options. GIFs, JPEGs, PDFs and Excel files should be sent in Binary mode as Raw Data.

If you need to delete or rename a file or directory on the server, use the commands available in "Remote" on the top menu bar.

Usually played with a ball, stick or Frisbee, fetch is a game played by dogs, especially during the puppy stage, and their inferior human counterparts. Since said humans are one of the few species adapted to throw things and dogs have an ingrained predatory nature they will gladly chase down the object and in some cases return it to your feet. Other times they return it and then play a little game of tug of war as their human tries to pry the object from their jaws. In extreme cases, the dog will chase down the object and then play what is known in human terms as “keep away”. Much to the dog's delight, the human will then make a complete fool of himself as he haplessly tries to chase the dog down and retrieve the object.

When this occurs, I swear, one can almost hear the dog laughing at you or mocking you as you stumble around fruitlessly lunging at the beast's tail and try herding it into a corner.

Thankfully, there is away around this predicament. Instead of you chasing the dog, try running in the opposite direction. This will momentarily confuse the canine and in most cases you will have turned the tables to your advantage and the dog will try and chase you down. If they just stand there staring at you with a blank expression on their face wondering what the hell you’re doing, food usually works. Make sure you always have some doggie treats on hand and pretend to start eating them. This is usually enough to jump start the dog back in your direction.

Depending on the human’s endurance or attention span this little game can last for hours on end. When all is said and done it's good exercise for the both of you. The wagging tail and what appears to be a smile on your dogs face are rewards enough for the both of you.

Note: Some humans have a malicious streak in them and get their jollies by attempting what is known as a “fake throw”. They act as if they’ve thrown the object but in fact have just gone through the motions while never actually releasing it. This will cause the dog to take off in the direction of the fake throw and then suddenly turn around and look at the human in disappointment when they realize their mistake.

Not cool, not cool at all.

Fetch (fech; 224), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fetched 2; p. pr. & vb. n.. Fetching.] [OE. fecchen, AS. feccan, perh. the same word as fetian; or cf. facian to wish to get, OFries. faka to prepare. √ 77. Cf. Fet, v. t.]

1.

To bear toward the person speaking, or the person or thing from whose point of view the action is contemplated; to go and bring; to get.

Time will run back and fetch the age of gold.
Milton.

He called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink. And as she was going to fetch it he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bred in thine hand.
1 Kings xvii. 11, 12.

2.

To obtain as price or equivalent; to sell for.

Our native horses were held in small esteem, and fetched low prices.
Macaulay.

3.

To recall from a swoon; to revive; -- sometimes with to; as, to fetch a man to.

Fetching men again when they swoon.
Bacon.

4.

To reduce; to throw.

The sudden trip in wrestling that fetches a man to the ground.
South.

5.

To bring to accomplishment; to achieve; to make; to perform, with certain objects; as, to fetch a compass; to fetch a leap; to fetch a sigh.

I'll fetch a turn about the garden.
Shak.

He fetches his blow quick and sure.
South.

6.

To bring or get within reach by going; to reach; to arrive at; to attain; to reach by sailing.

Meantine flew our ships, and straight we fetched
The siren's isle.
Chapman.

7.

To cause to come; to bring to a particular state.

They could n't fetch the butter in the churn.
W. Barnes.

To fetch a compass (Naut.), to make a sircuit; to take a circuitious route going to a place. --
To fetch a pump, to make it draw water by pouring water into the top and working the handle. --
To fetch headway or sternway (Naut.), to move ahead or astern. --
To fetch out, to develop. "The skill of the polisher fetches out the colors [of marble]" Addison. --
To fetch up.
(a) To overtake. [Obs.] "Says [the hare], I can fetch up the tortoise when I please." L'Estrange.

(b) To stop suddenly.

 

© Webster 1913


Fetch, n.

1.

A stratagem by which a thing is indirectly brought to pass, or by which one thing seems intended and another is done; a trick; an artifice.

Every little fetch of wit and criticism.
South.

2.

The apparation of a living person; a wraith.

The very fetch and ghost of Mrs. Gamp.
Dickens.

Fetch candle, a light seen at night, superstitiously believed to portend a person's death.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.