My recipe for it:

Fettuccine Alfredo

One 12 ounce box of fettucine noodles
8 ounces of light cream or whipping cream
(note: whipping cream is NOT the same as Whipped Cream)
1/2 cup or more of grated parmesan cheese (real cheese not fake)
3 Tablespoons butter Salt to taste
Any vegetables or meat you like in any quantity you like

Boil water for the noodles. Cook the noodles according to the directions on the box. While noodles are cooking, prepare and/or cook anything you'd like to add to your fettucine alfredo.

When the noodels are done, strain them. Put them back in the pan you cooked them in and add the butter, cream and parmesan. Stir the mixture over low heat (or simmer) until the cheese is melted. Add whatever you like or eat it the way it is.

Use salt and pepper if you like.

Broccoli with this is really good.

Yes I know fettuccine alfredo is fattening.
Surprisingly enough, there is one correct spelling and it is fettuccine alfredo. Notice that in Italian a doubled consonant sounds long.

The story behind this dubious dish, which is not an Italian recipe, tells about a certain cook in Rome, dude called Alfredo, that invented one of the most boring and bland sauces in the world. The American palate being what it is, gringos just love it.

Since it is not a traditional recipe, there is no canonical way of preparing it. Add spinach. Add tofu. Add grated Bactrian camel thighbone. Do your worse, it is no skin off my nose.

Just one thing more:
> When the noodels are done, strain them and rinse them with hot water so they don't stick together.
This is not necessary, and in fact it may be harmful.

Here's another recipe variation for fettuccine alfredo. This one is even more fattening, so I would recommend trying both, and only using this one if you really do like the taste quite a bit better. This dish is best served alongside something else, as an accompanimant, or an appetizer, instead of as the only dish, as it can get to be a bit too much by itself.

One thing fettuccine alfredo in general is that, as is the case with all cream sauces, you want to use fresh pasta. Dried pasta just does not absorb the sauce nearly as well as fresh, and will often leave way too much sauce sitting at the bottom of the bowl when you're finished. The refridgerated stuff in the supermarket? Use dry instead, at least it's not gummy along with not holding the sauce. Either find a local store that makes fresh pasta, or make it yourself. (That can be a rather fun experience, and makes you enjoy your meal even more)

Thanks to The Complete Book of Pasta and Noodles for the original recipe.

Fettuccine Alfredo

1 2/3 C heavy cream, not ultrapasteurized
5 Tbsp butter, unsalted
1 lb fresh egg fettuccine
1 C grated Parmesan cheese
Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Ground nutmeg

While bringing the water for the pasta to a boil (salted water, of course), combine 1 1/3 cups of the cream, and the butter, in a pan. (The pan must be large enough to hold the pasta afterwards, also) Heat on low until the butter is melted, and the mix is just starting to simmer. Remove from heat.

Cook the pasta until al dente, drain briefly (do not, ever, ever rinse with water), and add it to the pan with the cream mix. Add the rest of the cream, the Parmesan, about 1/2 tsp of salt, and nutmeg and pepper to taste. Mix well, and cook over low heat a few minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.

Place into warmed bowls. Serve immediately. Note that, when you dish out the pasta, it should appear soupy. The pasta will continue to absorb the sauce as it sits, and if it looks just right when being served, will likely end up too dry once you start to eat it.

Serves: 4-6

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.