THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #18a: FIFTH

FIFTH is a precision mathematical language in which the data types refer to quantity. The data types range from CC, OUNCE, SHOT, and JIGGER to FIFTH (hence the name of the language), LITER, MAGNUM and BLOTTO. Commands refer to ingredients such as CHABLIS, CHARDONNAY, CABERNET, GIN, VERMOUTH, VODKA, SCOTCH, and WHATEVERSAROUND. The many versions of the FIFTH language reflect the sophistication and financial status of its users. Commands in the ELITE dialect include VSOP and LAFITE, while commands in the GUTTER dialect include HOOTCH and RIPPLE. The latter is a favorite of frustrated FORTH programmers who end up using this language.

When used to refer to a measure of liquor a fifth is 25.6 oz. or 750 ml. It is a very common size of bottle that alcohol comes in. For example you can say "Honey, I'm going to the store for a fifth of whiskey, you need anything?"

Fifth (?), a. [OE. fifte, fifthe, AS. fifta. See Five.]

1.

Next in order after the fourth; -- the ordinal of five.

2.

Consisting of one of five equal divisions of a thing.

Fifth monarchy men Hist., a fanatical sect in England, of the time of the commonwealth, who maintained that there would be a fifth universal monarchy, during which Christ would reign on earth a thousand years. -- Fifth wheel, a horizontal wheel or segment above the fore axle of a carriage and beneath the body, forming an extended support to prevent careening.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fifth (?), n.

1.

The quotient of a unit divided by five; one of five equal parts; a fifth part.

<-- a fifth of whiskey = a fifth of a gallon -->

2. Mus.

The interval of three tones and a semitone, embracing five diatonic degrees of the scale; the dominant of any key.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.