The purpose of this metanode will be to gather together a list of those renowned film directors who either are noded already, or who should be noded. If you are aware of any film director with an already existing node, please /msg e2 film and we will add his/her name to the list. If there are any directors who are *not* yet noded, and you think they should be, then node them first before /msging. The ones included on this list, which do not currently have nodes, are listed as a sort of suggestion everybody to get on the ball and create some good writeups for them.

For the sake of order, the names are divided up by nationality, then alphabetize by family name. This, of course, already provides a challenge.

There are many expatriate filmmakers, and filmmakers who have created films in multiple countries in multiple languages. In some cases, the designations will be completely arbitrary, though country of birth will generally be the deciding factor, except in those cases where a director did not get his start in his native country (as Elia Kazan). This is not entirely satisfactory, as, for instance, Otto Preminger might best be considered an American filmmaker as well. Please excuse this sort of unintended bias, but the lines do get blurry at times.

Not all nations follow the practice of putting a person's family name last. Again, as a purely arbitrary convention, we will tend to list Japanese filmmakers in a westernized manner, while we leave the names of some other Asian filmmakers in the traditional Eastern style. We do this because, in the West, Kurosawa is best known as Akira Kurosawa, while Chen and Tran are best known as Chen Kaige and Tran Anh Hung respectively. And now to begin!


Australia and New Zealand


Austria and Austria-Hungary


Bosnia And Former Yugoslavia


Brazil


Canada


Chile


China


Czech Republic, Slovakia, Former Czechoslovakia


Denmark


Finland


France


Germany


Great Britain


Hungary


India


Iran


Italy


Japan


Poland


Russia And The Former Soviet Union


Senegal


Spain


Sweden


Taiwan


United States


Vietnam

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.