Atari 2600 Game
Produced by:Activision
Model Number:AG004
Rarity:2 Common+
Year of Release: 1980

This Atari 2600 game is a simple but fun fishing game. You and your opponent sit on piers across from each other at the top of the screen. Below you in the water are lots of fish. Maneuver your fishing pole to catch more fish than your opponent does. There is also a shark in the water that you have to look out for, (he will eat your fish right off your pole).

From the instruction manual:
HOW TO BE A CHAMPION FISHING DERBY ANGLER
Tips from David Crane, designer of FISHING DERBY

David Crane, formerly a senior game designer at Atari, also designed Dragster for Activision. He believes in taking on game assignments that everyone else says are impossible--and always gets them done.

"The most important thing I can tell you is to WATCH OUT FOR THE SHARK! I've made him quick and wily and unpredictable. If your fish touches the shark anywhere, he'll turn in a flash and snap it up. So try to keep your fish away from him while you're reeling in.

"Once you've hooked your fish, you'll want to play him back and forth until the shark moves out of the way, then push the red button and land him quickly.

You can reel in more or less slowly by pressing or releasing the red button and you can move your line back and forth with your Joystick.

"Since the big fish are in the fifth and sixth rows, go deep. Start with the fifth row if you're the player on the left. You will have a little advantage there, because you can reach the fifth row first. The player on the right should go to the sixth row to catch his big ones.

"Also, watch to see which fish start from your opponent's side and which start from your side. As fish are caught, they are replaced on the side they started from. It's better for you to catch fish that start uner your pier, because you can usually go right back for another one.

"FISHING DERBY is a game designed to be fun for everyone in the family. Now you won't have to get rained on or sunburned when you go fishing. I'd like to hear how you like it."

David Crane

This game is valued at around $2 USD. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.