This is first said by actor Robert Lesser to Bruce Willis' character John McClane in the first scene of the movie Die Hard. Lesser plays a bit part as a businessman who notices John McClane's discomfort at air travel, particularly while they're landing.

"Wanna know the secret to surviving air travel?" the businessman asks McClane, "After you get where you're going, take off your shoes and your socks, and you walk around on the rug barefoot and make fists with your toes."

John McClane looks at him like he's an idiot, "Fists with your toes?"

The businessman chuckles a bit, "I know, I know, it sounds crazy. Trust me. I've been doing it for nine years."

John McClane then gets up to get his luggage, and the businessman notices McClane is packing a firearm, as he's an off-duty cop several states away from his beat and we all know that an off-duty cop would of course be allowed to carry an armed weapon onto an airplane, "Don't worry. I've been doing this for eleven years."

This is a very important opening scene because it sets up the entire rest of the movie in an important way. When McClane gets to his wife's place of employment, the Nakatomi building, he takes off his shoes while waiting for his wife in her posh bathroom, and he makes those fists with his toes. It surprises him, but it actually works and makes him feel better. Unfortunately, it's right at that moment in the movie when the shit hits the fan and John McClane goes up against an entire army of thieving terrorists barefoot. Great movie.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.