A fivefold kiss refers to the ritual of kissing 5 points of the body (head, arms or hands, and feet or legs - the points of whch represent a pentacle), or 8 kisses on 5 parts of the body (each foot, each knee, above the pubic area, on each breast, and the lips).

The ritual is used in some traditions of neo-Pagan witchcraft in various rites and ceremonies and is intended to symbolise the homage that the God and Goddess pay to each other. It will always be performed within a magic circle, and always between people of the opposite sex (the Priest and Priestess, generally).

Each kiss is followed by a blessing such as the following (for a female receiving a fivefold kiss):

Blessed be thy feet that have brought thee in thy ways;
Blessed be thy knees that shall kneel at the sacred altar;
Blessed be thy womb, without which we should not be,
Blessed be thy breasts, formed in beauty;
Blessed be thy lips that shall utter sacred names.
As an addition to the above writeup by arkaem, I'd like to also mention that this kiss is mentioned in a death ritual that is similar to a particular type of Pagan funeral. In it, a story is told of a version of the Goddess coming to the Lord of the Underworld and asks Him why He must make all things die as He does. He simply replies that it is the law of nature, and introduces the Goddess to what Death is, and She sees that it is also a beautiful thing, that only through death and rebirth can knowledge and joy be attained. (People play out these parts in their service, and it includes a symbolic scourging or gentle whipping.) The God of the Underworld gives the Goddess the Fivefold Kiss, without saying the accompanying prayer, and gives Her several symbolic gifts.

Incidentally, when a woman gives the Fivefold Kiss to a man, the following blessing is said, comparable exactly to the above by arkaem and executed in the same way:

Blessed be thy feet, that brought thee in these ways.
Blessed be thy knees, that shall kneel at the sacred altar.
Blessed be thy phallus, without which we could not be.
Blessed be thy breast, formed in strength.
Blessed be thy lips, that shall utter the Sacred Names.

This information is printed many places but was researched for this writeup from the Farrars' Witches' Bible.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.