Genesis 3:24
So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Isaiah 6:16
For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Ephesians 6:17
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God

Revelations 1:16
And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

Revelations 2:16
Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Is the flaming sword that guards the Garden of Eden, the same as the sword that issues from the mouth of Jesus? Is the word of God "sharper than a two edged sword" or is the flaming sword a symbol for the word of God, guarding the way to the Tree of Life? What does it mean that it is "dividing asunder of soul and spirit" and is a "discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart?" Is it also a symbol for the Atoning Powers of the Christ? The constant reference to death by the sword in the Old and New Testaments somehow related? Is death meant to, by way of the flaming sword--the Atonement of Jesus the Christ, divide our spirits; to separate the corruptible from the incoruptible.

All technology can and has been used for both good and evil works. Nuclear technology has been used to create extremely environmentally-friendly (compared to coal power plants) power sources and also to make weapons of global destruction. Perhaps this flaming two-edged sword, issuing from the mouth of angelic hosts' and the savior's mouth comes with death and removes our desires to use technology for evil leaving only the good works and good intentions.

Just an idea, mind you.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.