This leavened (yeast risen) flatbread is fairly common throughout the Mediterranean and parts of the Middle East. This particular recipe is Sardinian in origin. It makes a wonderful accompaniment to mezze, antipasto and dips, but it also makes a great pizza base. The recipe calls for continental flour, I think in Italy it is called doppio 00 flour. Basically, it is a high proportion of hard durum wheat. If you have trouble finding it, try mixing half regular flour and half fine semolina.

Ingredients

  • 450 gm (1lb) continental flour, or half flour, half semolina
  • 250 ml (1 cup) warm water, blood temperature
  • 7g (1-tsp.) active dried yeast
  • 30 ml (1 fl oz) Olive oil
  • Sea salt

    Method

    In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients, add the oil and stir to combine, then add the water. Mix together and check the consistency. What you are looking for is a moist, pliable dough, without being sticky. A good rule of thumb for most breads. Add a little more flour or water if necessary. Knead for 10 minutes. This step can be done in a Mixmaster with a dough hook attachment. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

    To cook, take a piece of dough about the size of a large walnut, flour a bench well and roll out to about 25 cm (10 inches). It should be quite thin. Brush with oil or garlic oil, season with a bit of salt and place on a grill or barbecue. Cook for about 2 minutes each side, or until nicely browned. To cook pizza, take about a third of the dough, roll out a little thicker and place on a pizza tray. Brush with garlic oil and the toppings of your choice. Please, not too much, 3 should be plenty. Cook in a hot oven for 12 minutes. Serve hot!

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.