The Supreme Court of Florida is made up of seven justices chosen by the state governor. Each justice serves a six year term and at the end of their term each is subjected to a "merit-retention" election where the voters decide whether or not to retain him or her. Despite sporadic efforts targeting particular justices for removal, usually by far-right conservative groups, to date no justice has been voted off the bench.

The office of Chief Justice rotates every two years, and holders are chosen on the basis of seniority.

Except for one justice co-appointed by governors Lawton Chiles and Jeb Bush, all the justices were appointed by Democratic governors Chiles and Bob Graham. This has led Republicans to attempt to tar the court as a cabal of far-left judicial "activists". Hate to break this to you, but this is Florida, not Massachusetts, and the Democrats that do make it into the government are largely pretty conservative. But never let the truth get in the way of good spin.

The current Supreme Court

- Chief Justice Charles T. Wells
- Leander J. Shaw, Jr.
- Major B. Harding
- Harry Lee Anstead
- Barbara Pariente
- R. Fred Lewis
- Peggy Quince


Just what I wanted for Christmas! Immature softlinks! Thanks!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.