What is "Flow, my tears"?

"Flow, my tears" is an ayre composed by John Dowland for the lute in 1596. It quickly became Dowland's most popular composition and his signature song, and was widely popular until the early 1600s. It became so popular, in fact, that a large number of English instrumental pieces of the time period were based on its melody. Originally composed as an instrumental under the title Lachrimae Pavane (often referred to as just Lachrimae), it is believed that the lyrics were written by Dowland himself specifically for the instrumental.

The song is an excellent example of word painting, in which the phonetic qualities of the words and the way they are presented phonetically reinforce the intended meaning. The opening phrase "Flow, my tears" descends in tone as if to suggest the tears flowing downard. This is also exemplified in 'down vain lights', which also descends in tone as if to suggest downward movement.

It is an absolutely excellent composition, and I highly recommend you listen to it. There are a few performances of it on YouTube, but I personally like one of the Spotify versions the best, which is performed by Andreas Scholl and Andreas Martin.

 

The Lyrics

Flow, my tears, fall from your springs!

Exiled, forever let me mourn;

Where night's black bird her sad infamy sings,

There let me live forlorn.

 

Down vain lights, shine you no more!

No nights are dark enough for those,

That in despair their last fortunes deplore.

Light doth but shame disclose.

 

Never may my woes be relieved,

Since pity is fled;

And tears and sighs and groans, my weary days, my weary days,

Of all joys have deprived.

 

From the highest spire of contentment,

My fortune is thrown;

And fear and grief and pain for my deserts, for my deserts,

Are my hopes, since hope is gone.

 

Hark! you shadows that in darkness dwell,

Learn to contemn light.

Happy, happy they that in hell,

Feel not the world's despite.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.