Another short-lived coin, the Flowing Hair Half Dime was minted for a single year.

In 1794, the flowing hair five cent piece began circulation. This particular design was created by Robert Scot, Chief Engraver of the mint. The design's obverse depicts the head of Lady Liberty facing right, her hair flowing behind her. The edge of the coin is reeded, and the word "LIBERTY" appears along the top, with the year at the bottom. A total of fifteen 6-ponted stars are displayed, with seven on the right side and eight on the left. The coin's reverse depicts an eagle with its wings outstretched, encircled by olive branches. "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" surrounds nearly the entire reverse side.

The flowing hair design was widely criticized, claiming the eagle was "scrawny", as well as Lady Liberty being portrayed in a "fright wig".

A total of 7,756 flowing hair dimes were minted, and display the date of 1794. However, the dimes were actually minted in March of 1795. Their short lifespan was a result of poor reception to the coin's design. The half dime was later redesigned, and the Draped Bust Half Dime was the result.


United States Coinage

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.