A quaint drinking town with a fishing problem.

Folly Beach, South Carolina is located 11 miles south of Charleston, SC. The island is six miles long and a half mile wide.

During the winter, there are 1,800 residents. These are an odd and wonderfully charming assortment of people from the barely employed to celebrities such as Bill Murray and David Schwimmer.

Folly Beach is the only beach with public access near Charleston. During the summer, on weekends, there are 30,000 tourists per day. While this may appear to be physically impossible (the bridge to here is single lane each way, and there are only 70 official parking spaces), it does in fact happen. One can sit on the Center Street and watch the cars stand still for hours.

Folly Beach has been referred to as "Mayberry by the Sea". There is a single traffic light at the end of Center Street. The locals all know each other and keep reminding each other of this by gossiping constantly.

Popular bars include the Sand Dollar Social Club (a private club - membership is $1.00 per year), Planet Follywood and anyone on the beach with a cooler.

Latitude: 32:39:32.422N Longitude: 79:56:12.869W

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.