Foot"ing, n.

1.

Ground for the foot; place for the foot to rest on; firm foundation to stand on.

In ascent, every stp gained is a footing and help to the next. Holder.

2.

Standing; position; established place; basis for operation; permanent settlement; foothold.

As soon as he had obtained a footing at court, the charms of his manner . . . made him a favorite. Macaulay.

3.

Relative condition; state.

Lived on a footing of equality with nobles. Macaulay.

4.

Tread; step; especially, measured tread.

Hark, I hear the footing of a man. Shak.

5.

The act of adding up a column of figures; the amount or sum total of such a column.

6.

The act of putting a foot to anything; also, that which is added as a foot; as, the footing of a stocking.

7.

A narrow cotton lace, without figures.

8.

The finer refuse part of whale blubber, not wholly deprived of oil.

Simmonds.

9. Arch. & Enging.

The thickened or sloping portion of a wall, or of an embankment at its foot.

Footing course Arch., one of the courses of masonry at the foot of a wall, broader than the courses above. -- To pay one's footing, to pay a fee on first doing anything, as working at a trade or in a shop. Wright. -- Footing beam, the tie beam of a roof.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.