If you went to Junior High or High School in America in the mid-1980's, then this was one of the quintessential last-dance songs. Sometime around 10:50 or 10:55 you'd sidle up to the girl you have a crush on and hope and pray that when "Last Dance!" was called out you'd be close enough to grab her or (jesus, if this would happen you would just die) she would grab you and you'd dance and then maybe walk out together down to Denny's and drink coffee and have conversations far too serious for teenagers.

Anyhow, the great thing about "Forever Young" is that it works well as a slow dance and a fast dance (as opposed to something like "Don't You (Forget About Me)" (Simple Minds), another last dance song, which is only fast dancible). So, if the girl wanted to, you could slow dance, but if she didn't, then that was okay too.

Released in 1992, the movie Forever Young is the story about a young WWII-era test pilot Capt. Daniel McCormick (Mel Gibson). The show opens with him rehearsing the words he plans to use to ask the lady he loves, Helen (Isabel Glasser), to marry him; he never works up the courage to propose and as she leaves she is hit by a truck, and ends up in a deep coma.

Distraught with the impending loss of his one true love he asks to take part in a top-secret cryogenics military experiment which will “freeze” him. His best friend Harry Finley (George Wendt), the person in charge of the cryogenics experiment reluctantly agrees to use Daniel in the experiment and to awaken him should Helen ever come out of her coma.

The movie flashes forward fifty years and the apparatus containing Daniel's frozen body stored in an abandoned military warehouse, the capsule is opened accidentally by a young boy, Nat Cooper (Elijah Wood) and his friend. This is the 'must see' point in the movie for anyone who would agree with me that Mel Gibson is the sexiest man alive, for you get a brief glimpse of him 'in the buff' as he emerges from the deep freeze.

Daniel grabs Nat's coat as he is awakened and after realizing he's alone 50 years in the future he ends up at Nat's house (Nat's coat had his address on the label). Nat's mother Claire Cooper (Jamie Lee Curtis) is a nurse who ends up befriending Daniel after he rescues her from an abusive ex-boyfriend, and helping him in his quest to find Harry Finely.

As the show goes on Daniel's need to find Harry becomes more desperate as his body starts to react very strangely to having been frozen for 50 years.

This is as far into the plot as I can go without spoiling it, but I will say this movie has some very interesting twists and turns, and is definitely worth the rental.

Credits:

Directed by Steve Miner
Produced by Marion Dougherty
Screenplay by Jeffrey Abrams

The Forever Young soundtrack was composed by Jerry Goldsmith and includes:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.