This node has been reformatted for the Everything2 Community. The original version can be found here.


Forgotten in five minutes. Everything.

It happens, then it never happens.

Tanis, go fill up the icebox in the bar. And take those buckets there with you.

Yeah, sure Pat, I/ll make it quick. And the ice gets filled.

The girl in booth five makes a suggestive look at Tanis. Are you done with that, mam, as he was getting stared into, Yeah, sure.

You, and only you, can take my dishes away. Thanks.

Thanks.

And the dishes went into the back room.

Bring me more dishes! I/m bored and Tanis goes to get more dishes from the empty tables and the full tables.

Forgotten in five minutes. Everything.

It happens, then it never happens.

She was gone with the leaving from booth five. The note, For the Busser it had said. With a smiley face there down below. Who was she?

Just clear the dishes, Tanis.

Skulking off to the back room.

Ring went the bell, the bell that many employees were now cringing over.

This grandma here is having a birthday! Shes a hundred and seven!

And the piano went to playing the Song of Torment, and everybody sang along with it.

Forgotten in five minutes. Everything.

It happens, then it never happens.

The remains of grandma/s birthday sundae went to the trash, and the cup it was in was placed on the counter, eminating a cry of More dishes! You can move faster than that!

And they talked behind the base, David, Erik and Tanis were already doing the talk.

I didnt even notice the piano... you just have to tune it all out.

You mean, like achieving enlightenment while on the job?

Yeah although I know that Tanis cant tune any of it out. He cringed when he heard that.

Yeah, so what? I have something better than the both of you have.

What would that be?

Well, lets put it like this. How many tables did you serve today, David?

Eighty seven.

Alright.

You know how many tables I bussed?

No. Neither do I.

I, I can forget things like no other person around.

Then it was back to the disc and the rag and with the cleaning, the work was getting done.

Forgotten in five minutes. Everything.

It happens, then it never happens.

There were no humans on the waiting staff that night, as far as Tanis can remember.

They were all soulless, with the souls already in the back locker, with the coats and umbrellas.

Forgotten in five minutes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.