A type of high jump in track and field, named after Dick Fosbury. In this type of jump, you approach the bar in a sweeping arc. Facing away from the bar, you propel your shoulders over the bar first, arch your back and let your body follow. Once your body clears the bar, you lift your legs to complete the jump.

This type of jump, that is being used by virtually every high jumper allows athletes to generate more speed as they approach the bar, and an easier transfer of forward velocity to vertical lift. Compared to a face-forward technique, less off the jumper's body is exposed to the bar.

A few additional notes:

The Fosbury Flop was developed independently by Canadian Debbie Brill, who called the jump the Brill Bend. Brill, a two time Commonwealth Games gold medalist (1970 and '82), was the first woman jumper from North America to clear 6 feet, and is the co-holder of the Commonwealth record (1.98m, set in '84). Although a top competitor throughout the '70s and early '80s, she never placed higher than 5th at the Olympics (in '84).

The Fosbury Flop is unique amongst field events in that it utilizes a curved run-up. The curved approach lets the athlete begin the leap with body leaning away from the bar, allowing him/her to simultaneously affect a vertical take-off (maximizing the amount of height generated from the energy put into the jump) and begin a spin about the bar (allowing the feet to clear the bar on descent).

The main reason the flop is superior to previous high jump techniques (straddle, scissors, Eastern cutoff and Western roll) is that it allows the athlete to jump with a lower center of gravity, meaning more height can be cleared from the same energy input. It's possible for a jumper's center of gravity to pass beneath the bar using the Fosbury Flop technique.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.