Freiburg has plenty much of cathedrals and old buildings, but Qrz, you're right, this McDonald's logo on the old building (actually one of the two remaining city gates) is something ugly.

But really - the rest of the town looks and feels pretty good. It's a good mixture of old and new buildings, old quarters and new quarters.

Some facts about Freiburg

  • It's a town in southern western part of Germany in the state of Baden-Württemberg
  • Freiburg has 200.000 inhabitants
  • Almost 25.000 are students, most of them at Freiburg University, founded in the 1457
  • Freiburg is an old town, founded as early as 1120
  • Freiburg is situated in the Black Forest, a beautiful mountain range, near to the river Rhine
  • On of the famous old buildings is the Münster, a catholic cathedral in the middle of the town (started in 1200, finished 1513)
  • In it's history, Freiburg was for some time a part of Austria and of France.
  • Freiburg is know for it's medieval buildings and also for it's mediterrane flair. It's one of the sunniest and warmest cities in Germany, with a big ecological and alternative milieu.
  • The region around Freiburg - the Breisgau, giving Freiburg the full name of "Freiburg im Breisgau" - is especially well known for the wine
  • In newer times, Freiburg is also known as ecological and solar city
  • And last but not least: the "Bächle" - a net of small canals troughout old Freiburg alongside the boulevards. Don't step into one, if you ever come to Freiburg; or you have to marry a born Freiburgian (if you just want to do that, you can try ...)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.