Serves 6, try serving with Belgium Fruit Beer

You will need

Method

To prepare the pastry, put the toasted hazelnuts and desiccated coconut into a food processor and grind to a fine mixture (don't do it for too long or it will start to go oily).
Mix with the plain flour and salt and set to one side.
Cream the butter and sugar together briefly until smooth.
Stir in the whole egg, followed by the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Knead briefly until smooth, cut into two, wrap each piece in clingfilm/saren wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
Carefully roll out one piece of the pastry between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper or cling film and use to line a 20cm/8inch loose-bottomed flan tin. (Chill or freeze the other piece for later use).
Prick the base with a fork and line with greaseproof paper and baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes.
Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Brush the base of the pastry case with a little of the beaten egg yolk and bake for 1-2 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
For the filling, cream the egg yolks with the sugar, cornflour, plain flour and 30ml/2tbsp of the milk in a mixing bowl until smooth.
Bring the rest of the milk to the boil in a non-stick pan.
Gradually beat the hot milk into the creamed mixture, return to the pan and cook over a medium heat, stirring, until thick and smooth. Simmer gently for 5 minutes to cook the flour.
Stir in the vanilla extract and butter, transfer to a bowl and press a sheet of clingfilm onto the surface to prevent a skin forming. Leave to cool.
Finally, shortly before serving, whip the cream into soft peaks and fold it into the cream mixture.
Spread the mixture into the base of the pastry case and cover with a single layer of the raspberries.
Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve cut into wedges.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.