Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) - Weasello Rating: {>---} (Eh) {{ Prequel | Sequel }}
Please note that this review is laden with spoilers.

Jason Injury Count: Jason's injuries in this movie pale to those in other movies, but they are a little more original. He starts with a pen stabbed through his eye, he is shot 6 times, punched fifty-six times, he fell over once, was electrocuted twice, had toxic waste splashed in his face, and was then fully bathed/drowned in a toxic waste bath.

Body count: 25; 18 Male and 7 Female. (This is Jason's all-time high!)

Plot Outline: Regardless of the title, the majority of this movie is set on a cruise ship. The basic plot is that a graduating class near Crystal Lake rents a low-budget cruise ship to take them on a field trip to New York City (down the river to the ocean, apparantly). Jason, once again drowned by a chain in Crystal Lake, is awakened when a boat anchor drags an underwater cable over him and he is electrocuted back to life... much like in Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives.

One of the graduating class is a wanna-be boxer, and he tries pummeling Jason into submission - he lands a consecutive 56 punches (never before has Jason been injured so often so quickly!) with no effect before saying a classic quote and having his head punched off with one swing. Quite amusing. Jason is later drowned in the New York City Sewer System by toxic waste, and his body is melted away to nothingness. In an oddly mystic or artistic twist, Jason melts into his childhood body (?!?) briefly before vanishing into some steam.

Interesting Notes:
  • Jason has amazing climbing abilities - he nearly instantly teleports up several ladder rungs and defies time and distance when moving in complicated areas (such as forests or amongst rows of boxes).
  • When Jason first comes to life, he uncharacteristically bellows a hearty laugh. This laugh makes a few appearances throughout the movie.
  • To firmly mark its place in cultural history, the term "NARC" is used a few times.
  • Jason's breathing patterns made me rename him to "Darth Jason."
Fun Quotes! Lead roles: Directed by: Rob Hedden

Writing credits: Rob Hedden, Characters by Victor Miller (II).

Tagline: New York has a new problem!
Sources: The oh-so-wonderful IMDB, my head, and the box.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.