J rolled over.

"It's spring," I said. "There's no mistaking that."

"Yeah, definitely," she replied.

Time passed, about five or ten seconds during which we just stared at each other.

"What are you thinking?", J inquired. It had to be the fourth or fifth time she'd asked me tonight, each after such a moment, and the only time I ask someone that so often is when I'm waiting for a cue to jump them.

"............" Why wasn't I just saying something? "...Well, frankly, I knew there would come a day when I'd want to jump you. And here it is, and you are throwing unbelievably mixed signals."

J giggled. J always giggles. "I know. I'm so bad."

A few more seconds.

"Well," J said, "I know I'm not gonna be weird afterwards, and I don't think you're the type who's gonna act weird either.

"What's the worst that could happen?"

"That's true," I said, and dove right in.

Back in my heady college days, this would have meant one of the people I knew with privileges on one of our VMS systems. If you were good, they would do nice things for you.

I had privileges on our voice mail system, and bartered WORLD and OPER privs from the student systems manager who had full privs on the VAX. Sweet. . .

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.