A frieze found in an entablature of a Greek or Roman building usually abides by certain rules. In Greek temples there are 3 classes: Doric (male), Ionic (female), and Corinthian (elaborate). The Doric frieze is divided into triglyphs (a divider with 3 horizontal lines) and metopes (either blank or containing a decorative sculpture). The Ionic order's frieze is either completely blank or completely decorated, there will be no breaks in traditional Ionic friezes. The Corinthian order was a well decorated frieze typically with action scenes throughout the entire length. Roman temples either copy a Greek order's frieze style (not always matching the entire order of building) or engrave writing into the frieze. A great example of this is the Pantheon.

Frieze (?), n. [Perh. the same word as frieze a, kind of cloth. Cf. Friz.] Arch. (a)

That part of the entablature of an order which is between the architrave and cornice. It is a flat member or face, either uniform or broken by triglyphs, and often enriched with figures and other ornaments of sculpture.

(b)

Any sculptured or richly ornamented band in a building or, by extension, in rich pieces of furniture. See Illust. of Column.

Cornice or frieze with bossy sculptures graven. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Frieze (?), n. [F. frise, perh. originally a woolen cloth or stuff from Friesland (F. Frise); cf. LL. frisii panni and frissatus pannus, a shaggy woolen cloth, F. friser to friz, curl. Cf. Friz.]

A kind of coarse woolen cloth or stuff with a shaggy or tufted (friezed) nap on one side.

"Robes of frieze."

Goldsmith.

 

© Webster 1913.


Frieze, v. t.

To make a nap on (cloth); to friz. See Friz, v. t.,

2.

Friezing machine, a machine for friezing cloth; a friezing machine.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.