Frigga, also known as Frigg is the wife of Odin and the foremost goddess within the Norse pantheon. She is the patron of motherhood and marriage, as well as love and fertility. Because of their similar aspects, Frigga is often compared to and confused with Freyja, but Frigga is from the Aesir tribe, while Freyja belonged to the Vanir.

Frigga is said to know the destiny of every man but rarely reveals them. She is also known to favour warriors in battle. She is the mother of the noble Balder and his twin, Hod. Her house in Asgard is Fensalir, which means "water halls". Her messenger and handmaiden is Gna, who rides through the sky on her horse Hofvarpnir, and in certain myths she is said to have had affairs with Odin's brothers Ve and Vili.

Her colours are deep blue, red and dark green, and her Tarot cards are the Empress and the Lovers. Runes that can be applied or used in her name are Berkana, Ehwaz and Gebo.

For a nice overview of the Norse pantheon, try this.

Frigg (?), Frig"ga (?) n. [Icel. Frigg. See Friday.] Scand. Myth.

The wife of Odin and mother of the gods; the supreme goddess; the Juno of the Valhalla. Cf. Freya.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.