Frodo Baggins is by far my favorite character in J.R.R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Frodo was a son of Drogo Baggins and a close relative of Bilbo Baggins. His greatest deed was serving as the Ringbearer; he ended the War of the Ring by carrying the Ruling Ring to Sammath Naur in Orodreth, Mount Doom. Later he and Bilbo became the only hobbits ever to enter Valinor.

The cataclysmic events described in Lord of the Rings are centered around the One Ring, and as Frodo carries the Ring, he is pretty much in the middle of everything. The other main characters of the book wage war against Sauron, Saruman, the Witch King or some other quite tangible foe, but Frodo has a constant battle with the Ring -- or with himself. As the others fight against orcs, Frodo tries -- usually in vain -- to resist the urge to slip the Ring on.

Frodo and the Ring have a fairly unique relationship. They are strangely dependant on each other, but still there is only animosity between them. The Ring proves to be a powerful ally to Frodo by shielding him from the visible world. Simultaneously it tries to force Frodo to succumb under its power. On the other hand, Frodo brings the Ring back to the wide world and closer to Sauron and his minions, but his goal is the Ring's destruction.

Frodo's character changes greatly as the story goes on. The hobbits' gaily walking songs are a thing of the past at Emyn Muil, and the darker aspects of Frodo's nature come forth. He becomes more stern and resolute, and definitely more pessimistic, until he is almost a fatalist. He bears both mental and physical injuries, and the Ring gets heavier all the time. At this point professor Tolkien shows his skills as a character-builder, and lets Samwise observe the change his Master is going through when they enter Ithilien and finally Mordor. Gollum is given to the reader as a point of reference: he is the ultimate victim of the Ring.

The final battle between Frodo and the Ruling Ring takes place in Sammath Naur, at the place where the Ring was originally made. Frodo loses this time: he slips the Ring on and proclaims himself the Lord of the Rings, thus the name of the book. Only Gollum's intervention saves the day. The malicious enchantment upon Frodo is lifted, and he is again Frodo Baggins of Bag End.

Tolkien once wrote that he hated allegories, and there was none to be found in his work. Still, some things about Frodo seem quite strange to be just coincidence. For instance, Frodo leaves Rivendell at Christmas Day and arrives to Mount Doom at Easter. Could Tolkien have meant Frodo to be a Christ figure with his cross? We will never know, but at least we can guess.

Frodo Baggins was born in 2968 to Drogo and Primula Baggins. A hobbit, he lived a pleasant childhood in the Shire. Frodo was later adopted as nephew and heir by his wealthy, but fairly distant, relative Bilbo Baggins of Bag End.

In 3001, Frodo inherited the entirety of Bilbo's fortune after his mysterious disappearance at his own 111th birthday party. Among the heirlooms was a golden ring, which was later discovered by the wizard Gandalf to be the One Ring. Frodo had become a ringbearer.

In 3018, Frodo set out with his friends Meriadoc Brandybuck, Peregrin Took, and Samwise Gamgee to bring the ring to Rivendell. There, Frodo volunteered to lead The Fellowship of the Ring to destroy the ring at Mount Doom in Mordor, a task which culminated on March 25, 3019 at the cracks of doom.

Upon returning to the Shire, Frodo played an instrumental role in ridding it of Lotho and Sharkey who had instituted a reign of terror. After overthrowing the two corrupt leaders, Frodo held the office of Mayor from November 3, 3019 to Midyear's Day, 3020, when Will Whitfoot was once again fit to resume his duties.

Between battling intermittant bouts of unexplained illness, Frodo spent the remainder of his time in the Shire finishing Bilbo's Red Book. He eventually titled it "The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and The Return of the King". Once he had finished, he entrusted the book to his lifelong friend, Sam.

On September 29, 3021, Frodo rode with Sam to the Grey Havens to meet Bilbo and the three Keepers of the Rings. All but Sam sailed across the sea that day, marking the end of the Third Age. Frodo was 53 years old. He had never married and had no children.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.